TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Lens advice

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 7th 2008#178922 Report
Okay... I have a Canon EOS 400 with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with it.

My brother in law has asked me to take his wedding pictures with it, just wondering if anyone could recommend the kind of lens I should use.

I have seem various ones with different ranges and image stabilizers and ones called macros, but am a bit lost as to what a macro lens it... It is also seems to come in a fixed mm, like 50mm macro aaarghh... A bit confusing for the novice
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 7th 2008#178923 Report
hi,
i am not a camera buff although i used to do a lot of slr film photography..
first of all take a ride over to the dpview forums.... you got a lot of experts and they can specifically address your camera...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/

now all your lens have to some degree a magnification factor....
the thing with macro lens (not micro) is that there designed for a 1:1 ratio (magnification to speak of) and for real close up work...

now some people will use a zoom lens and that quick but some time get picture distortion...

other tips.... with digital..... and you have anew camera so do a lot of practice shots paying attention to lighting conditions and differences.. for example setting up your camera for out side lighting conditions for inside shots..... not good... or setup camera for inside shooting where incadescent lighting and you really have neon lights... you can get some funny colors... if your going to do large group shots.... may want to get a tripod... go head and use your regular lens but to get a close up... you may need to take just portions of the group and then stitch the segments together...

Rich said:Okay... I have a Canon EOS 400 with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with it.

My brother in law has asked me to take his wedding pictures with it, just wondering if anyone could recommend the kind of lens I should use.

I have seem various ones with different ranges and image stabilizers and ones called macros, but am a bit lost as to what a macro lens it... It is also seems to come in a fixed mm, like 50mm macro aaarghh... A bit confusing for the novice
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 8th 2008#178926 Report
jerrylb, nowadays you can shoot your digital images in RAW and change the white balance and exposure afterwards, really handy when shooting weddings. When you shoot images inside and outside, you have more control to color correct the images afterwards.

About the lenses, I wouldn't use a macro lens when shooting weddings.
An example of what macro lenses can do can be found on my website:
http://www.vibrantphotos.nl/nature/gallery/cricket.php
Macro lenses are designed so you can really focus on objects nearby, and zoom in to get all the details.

To be flexible during a wedding I would use two camera bodies (one for back-up aswell), one with a wide angle lens and one with a zoom lens.
This makes sure you aren't tied to making the same shots over and over.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 10th 2008#178939 Report
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, I will take a look at the links and work out what will be best.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 5th 2009#195739 Report
Rather than a macro lens, something like a fast 50mm prime lens could be really great for portrait shots, isolating subjects and capturing action with a fast shutter speed.

Cheapest is the 50mm f/1.8.

As mentioned above, lots of practise with it first to get a feel for it.

Good luck!

S
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum