TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

How can I get this effect on my photographs?

Page: 1 Reply
Sep 25th 2006#174655 Report
Hello,
I find this kinda grayscale effect very interesting and effective, but I cant get it and I hoped that you can help me on how to get this kind of effect:

Dunno if its a plugin or effect, but I really would appreciate if you'd help me on getting this effect on my photos, thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2006#174661 Report
Really it looks to me like its just a really nice photo, changed to grayscale and some selective sharpening done. Pretty standard stuff...

What exactly are you seeing that you want to acheive?
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2006#174666 Report
Take a standard photo and change it to grayscale, put it with this one together one by one and see if there is any differents...
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2006#174669 Report
[QUOTE=awesome]Take a standard photo and change it to grayscale, put it with this one together one by one and see if there is any differents...[/QUOTE]

Sure there will be differences if you just leave it at that.

You have to do some toning, and sharpening to even get close. A simple RGB to grayscale conversion wont get you there. I do however contend that this is no "standard" photo. A pro took that photo the quality of the lighting tells me that...

After your grayscale conversion go CTR+L to bring up the levels pallet. Make sure preview is checked and grab the highlight slider (the white one on the right) and drag it toward the left.... see the change in tone? Play with the sliders to adjust you tone and contrast.

Next run an unsharpmask filter on the image... (a couple of times at different strengths if you have to.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 27th 2006#174687 Report
A straight conversion to grayscale often produces quite a flat-looking image that needs some attention to improve it. In addition to the methods outlined by Tornupinside, you can also try a bit of dodging and burning to deepen the blacks and raise the highlights in areas of the image.

Use the burn tool with a large, soft brush set to 'shadows' with strength 2 -5 %. Play the brush quickly over the shadow areas, don't linger on any one area or the shadows will fill in too much.

Set the dodge tool to 'highlights', also with a large, soft brush at 2 -5 %. Same method as the burn tool, but use it to accentuate the highlights.

Takes a bit of practice to get right, but with a bit of patience you can make good improvements to an ordinary b + w image.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 27th 2006#174688 Report
omg yall helpless...thanks for trying tho...
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 28th 2006#174690 Report
Yeah Wano.... we're helpless.... omg.... and stuff.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 28th 2006#174691 Report
Aw, well it was only a matter of time before somebody found us out eh? :eek:

Omg when I think of all the hours I've wasted sitting in front of the screen, helplessly searching for that magical Photoshop button that turns a crap photo into an artistic masterpiece! ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 29th 2006#174695 Report
flam3d?

i think the pivotal difference may be the ugly girl.
and getting lucky w/ the rusted/textured bg.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 30th 2006#174714 Report
YEah, Wano and I got flamed.... but we're so clueless/helpless we didn't even notice. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum