TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Help me spend money... 20D vs Rebel XT

Page: 1 2 Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167215 Report
I get all set to order a new 20D last week, and low-n-behold I find out that Canon has released not just an update to their consumer DSLR (300D); but a whole new camera in the EOS 350D (Rebel XT). 8.0 MP; image quality right up there with the 20D. Differences are:

plastic body (instead of magnesium)
slightly slower AF (hair difference)
shorter expected life for shutter mechanism
smaller format body
3 fps burst (instead of 5)

Frankly I'm having a hard time justifying spending another $500 US to get the 20D. I'm not a professional photographer, I don't know if I'm worthy of the 20D! :rolleyes:

$500 could go a long way toward building up a new PC, or would buy a kick-arse lens for the camera. I've read many of the debates and arguments on dpreview.com forums on this subject. I guess my only concern is that some day I'm going to regret having settled for the Rebel XT--but frankly, I think by the time I'm GOOD enough with my photography to notice the difference, technology will have leap-frogged again, and we'll have cameras with laser-sighting and focus shooting 19MP images.

Thoughts? :confused:
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167217 Report
I don't think there are THAT big difference between those cameras.
At least for a non professional photographer.
I just got the 300D from my client and I love it.
I really don't think I need a better camera than that one.
But yeah, 20D or Canon 350D is a hard one.
My suggestion would be to buy the a bit less expensive camera and buy some really good lences instead, I think cameras like 300D and up doesn't have that much better stuff, then it more comes to what kind of lences you have... and they are expensive...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167220 Report
Nikon is coming out with more dSLRs also, and they are a lot cooler than Canon. Their logo is better and everything!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167226 Report
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167236 Report
I think you should just buy the cheap one. At that level I really doubt you'll notice .001 second difference in shutter speed or whatever it is. All of the options above are going to be sweet, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Unless there is just some completely amazing feature you need in the higher end one, I'd buy the cheaper one and spend the rest on lenses or WoW or an iPod or a Mac Mini or a camera for your wife or to share with your online friends or something.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 4th 2005#167240 Report
Okay, based SOLELY on Dek's recommendation, I HAVE purchased the Rebel XT 350D. All blame is SOLELY his should I have any frustration or dissatisfaction with the purchase.

::edit:: how do I use a camera to take a good picture of itself to show it off....???
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 5th 2005#167262 Report
buy a second camera...

or get a few mirrors and... you know the rest :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 5th 2005#167265 Report
I agree with Dek. Good choice!

I guess my only concern is that some day I'm going to regret having settled for the Rebel XT

That might happen. OR you buy the more expensive one, and a few months later a cheaper better camera comes out. OR you buy the expensive one, then desperately need the money for something else... etc. etc. etc.

The features arent diff enough to justify the extra $$. I mean how much more fun can a magnesium body be?? (Unless your planning to beat the hell out of it)
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 5th 2005#167270 Report
Good choice Dan. If you end up not liking it, you can send it to me.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 6th 2005#167297 Report

Online price minutely less >>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-030&depa=7

Difference is mostly sales tax... but I was too anxious to wait, plus for the first time in 8 years I bought an extended warranty. I'm paranoid about burnin' out pixels on the sensor.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum