TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Priority

Page: 1 Reply
May 2nd 2004#149457 Report
Okay camera folks i pose a connundrum to you. When looking to buy a new camera what should you prioritize in the market today. I look at magazines and see cameras with 5 and 6 megapixel and then some with 3.2, and 10x optical zoom and what not. When you buy a camera should you look for highest megapixel? most optical zoom? or a happy medium of both? I hope to buy a new camera when im in hong kong in june and i dont wanna get ripped off or get an inferior product that ill have to live with.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 2nd 2004#149479 Report
good link DPREVIEW.com

Depends on your use for it.

More Pixels
If you want to print your pictures, say an 8x10, the more pixels the better ( i believe you need 5mega for an 8x10). Also more pixels allows for sharper/better quality images, more detail etc. Also its easier to resize smaller than to blow up....so starting with higher megapixels may save a lot of trouble if your going to be using these images alot.

On the other hand, the more pixels = larger file size. So you'll need adequate HDD/Memory card space.....which could mean you'll be able to take less pictures ( ie on a vacation or something similar)

Also the price of higher megapixel cameras will be more. This might be bad cause you may end up paying for megapixels instead of good features.

Less Pixels
Now smaller megapixels = decent images (not as sharp, smaller detail, less quality...but still damn good if you ask me. I use 2MP and im satisfied). Also here you may end up with features you dont need (like shooting modes for n00bs if your advanced kinda thing).

Of course the price will be better though!!! And the file sizes will be more managable on HDD and memory cards etc. Also smaller files will cut down on proccessing time in camera....where as larger files will slow it down.

Again it all depends on your needs.

My Needs:

I wanted a decent camera, good zoom and manual features (so i can get creative with it). I also will not be printing my images, though i will use them for web/digital art.

So I went with 2 Megapixels (1600x1200 @72). I only get a 5x4@300 for printing, but its larger than i need for the screen!! I also went with 2MP cause that model had 10x Optical zoom (ignore digital zoom. its crap....its resampling w/ the camera. Do it in photoshop instead) where as other models have 2-3x, some have 6x and a few have 8x zoom. 10x zooms are kinda a rare find on non-pro cameras, so i jumped on the deal. Now i can take full screen pics of the moon!! (most cameras can barely see the moon)

Also my camera came with full manual settings (except focus...which is sometimes useful). This means i can set up a shot (nightime, long exposure, sunset,sunrise, etc). Point-shoot cheaper cameras can do just that...point and shoot. And if condidtions arent good (cloudy, overcast, dark, too bright/sunny etc) then pics may look like crap.

Also the 2MP was cheaper.........$500 (where as all the others were like 7-800).

Rodders "As if the above wasnt enough, i write to much crap to read" Quick Guide

(write down your answers, it'll help you choose)

- Screen or Paper?? (1+ Megapixel or 4+ Megapixels)

- What kinds of photo's (Vacation pics = Point & Shoot or Magazine Quality = Manual)

- How many pictures availabe? (Lower megapixels = lots more or Higher megapixels=a lot less)

- What quality do you need? (Low MP = not as good, but still decent or High MP= Pretty Good).

- Do you need to zoom? (3x = no, but my camera comes with it anyway. 6x+ = Yes i would like to. 10x= I want to see the moon)

- Do you need lots of features? (if you want control over image quality= yes, if you just want to take a picture = no)

- Does size matter? (i want to put it in my pocket= yes. I like carrying bowling balls = no)

- Does comfort matter? (square cameras = no. SLR-shape or w/ hand grips = yes)

- What kind of lense do i need? (Plastic = cheaper, can be scratched, less quality. Glass = expensive, harder to scratch (though require a lot of cleaning) but is way better quality)

- What Batteries? (AA= cheaper....run out faster..easier to get. Lithium=expensive, last longer...harder to find)

(yes im obessed with cameras)
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum