TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

symbols: file sizes

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 26th 2002#44202 Report
do symbols cut down on file size?

what else cuts down on file size?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 27th 2002#44211 Report
generally, yes, if you're reusing the symbol. that way instead of loading a graphic and information about that graphic multiple times, you're just loading it once. music/sound and bitmap graphics can significantly add to file size so e careful with your use of those. you can also cut down on your overall filesize by effectively using load and unload movie commands and having separate swf files within your site instead of using one big movie.

that's a start anyway...

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 27th 2002#44212 Report
A symbol (or definition) acts as a modle for the clip's content and structure. i.e, it simply holds what you're doing so that all you vector drawing are not only done on the main stage. Once you convert something to a symbol, you are placing an instance of that symbol on the main stage. This means you can give certain properties, such as variable names, and hense actions.

In a way, they can in fact reduce size if you have several other symbold inside that as a hierarchy because it's been loaded before....i suppose.

If it's a picture you're trying to cut down on, try the 'save for the web' feature in PS and save as a gif (if it hasn't got any major gradients). This should certainly cut down on image file size. If it's music, such as .wav or .aiff, convert that to .mp3. And if it's simply your vector graphics you've drawn, then there's nothing you can do. Make a preloader.

Edit: Damn, you beat me to it Fig.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum