TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Sound Compression

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 25th 2002#43779 Report
how can i put in a sound sample and still make the net size under 2 meg?

i know it should be in MP3 right? how long of a sample should i make if im supposed to cut it up and stream it?

i've seen a 11 min movie with sounds through out the entire thing and it was under 2 meg, and my flash is 600k and like 1 min long.

how can i compress really good like that?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2002#43882 Report
If you can loop sections you will save space. Also, mono sounds are half of stereo....As far as compression goes....I've heard some really crappy audio coming from flash sites....The second ? I am not sure what you are asking....Basically my take is that the more you compress it, it is going to sound worse....you might experiment with different mp3 compressing progs and see if one compresses better than the other.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2002#43939 Report
Your best bet is to find a sound loop. Go to www.flashkit.com and go to the sound loops page. These are only a few k in size and are sometimes ok. I personally despise sound loops, the first thing i do when a sound loop comes on is i turn the darn thing off...if i can that is.

MP3 are already a compressed version of a .aiff format (whihc you could also use in flash) and the .aiff's are huge in size. .wav is really bad quality but only a couple of k. The best thing to do is get a .mp3 soundloop and add a stop music button.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 25th 2002#43985 Report
.wav and .aiff are the same, cept one is native mac and one native pc.... mp3's are just compressed versions of .wav or .aiff.
File size is determined by bit depth and sample rate. Also if it is stereo or mono. Some of the crappier sounds coming off of a flash site usually are at 8 bit, rather than 16 (which is cd quality) and usually at 22k sample rate, rather than 44.1k (which is cd. )

A loop will save file space because it is just a short sound sample that is repeated. THus us only load the initial small sample.
It seems like it would be possible to load a collection of samples that can be actionscripted to play randomly, as long as the stuff matched then it would seem seemless.
Basically if you want good audio, then expect a large file size....
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 30th 2002#44919 Report
its called DietMP3.... it made my 4.7 mb sound file into a 780 kb file and sounds good still! <~~is happy:D
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2002#44949 Report
Yikes! that is a pretty hefty cut in file size.... I'll have to check it out =) Thanks....
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2002#44960 Report
4.7 MB mp3 to 780kb mp3? or was it more of a 4.7 MB wav file?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2002#45078 Report
mp3
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum