TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Quark Express Help

Page: 1 2 Reply
Nov 19th 2001#20912 Report
Hey all I didn't know where to put this so I just stuck it here. Anyhow I'm having trouble getting clear pictures to show and get printed when i import them. A friend of mine told me to use High Res images, scanned at 600 dpi or so, and that should do the trick. Well I tried it over and over and still can't get it to work. All help is appreciated, thanks. - Jase
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 19th 2001#20915 Report
a) in your preferences make sure you have "high resolution display" selected for images. that should make it "show" you on screen a good preveiw.

b) as far as printing... if you are placing the photo in a "picture box" it should be linked and print using the "high res" file.

> note <
If you are "copy and pasting" the photo into Quark.... Quark doesn't work like that. place photos in quark using
FILE>GET PICTURE>

that siad ... if I missunderstood your question... hit me again and I'll give it another shot.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 19th 2001#20925 Report
Thanks once again for your response but just to clarify certain things:

a) where exactly do i go to set images to high resolution display
b)FILE>GET PICTURE = linked picture?
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 20th 2001#20980 Report
Yup, FILE>GET PICTURE> equals a linked picture... and to check the "status" of a picture: (OK, missing, modified, etc) you go to UTILITIES>USAGE>PICTURES TAB

The High res display is EDIT>PREFERENCES>APPLICATION>DISPLAY TAB...

Change the following:
***note this will slow down Quarks responsivness, but on fast computers like we have now..... WHO CARES! ***
Color TIFFS from 8 bit to 24 bit
Grayscale TIFFS from 16 to 256

and I usually set the display DPI to 72

hope this helps.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 6th 2001#22378 Report
i worked with quark for about 2 years and i suggest copy/paste image instead file > get picture.
why?
saves the picture in your document and saves you a lot of trouble with linking images
the pictures are more clear than if using file>get
(this is what i noticed, if u like working ohter way, please do)

some time ago on quark website, aomng a lot of useless things, there was an extension that helped you make your picture more visible. i am sorry i can't remember it's name but i hope u will find it
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 7th 2001#22712 Report
Thanks all responces were helpfull, now I just have to mess around with the program to see which way of getting pictures in I like better.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 8th 2001#22732 Report
Originally posted by vali
i worked with quark for about 2 years and i suggest copy/paste image instead file > get picture.
why?
saves the picture in your document and saves you a lot of trouble with linking images the pictures are more clear than if using file>get (this is what i noticed, if u like working ohter way, please do)

I've been using Quark since its first release...and tested the beta, and I'm here to tell you if the photo ain't linked you will not print using a high resolution photo, instead you will print the screen preview.... at 72 DPI.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 19th 2001#23943 Report
You MUST use File,Get picture and link the picture to the document.. Although if you have done this correctly even a picture at 150 Dpi. should be crystal clear....Are you up sizing the picture once it is in quark? that could be a problem....Also check your printing settings....If the Printer is not a postscript Printer and you're trying to print EPS Pics it wont work right. Copy and Pasting pictures into quark is useless.....You might as well be using Microsoft word if your gonna do that.....When you print your document look for a window that say something to the effect of "Some pictures may have been modified or are missing. Continue?" This is a sign that your pictures are not properly collected for printing....Then you want the Utility's/Usage window to either update the pictures or find em. I recommend .TIF files for the best res. or EPS if your gonna be color seperating. If you have a graphic intensive document and have all the pictures copied and pasted it will be almost impossible to work with.....Everytime you try to scroll the screen , Quark must redraw all those High Res pics....It just destroys the usability. Also ceates HUGE file sizes. and generally crashes due to those file sizes.....Trust me, I started as an Art Director at a company that used Quark with all Instruction Sheets with Pics embedded in the document...what a nightmare....took sometimes 10 minutes to open 1 11x17 document with 4 Pics on it...forget about scrolling through the document.......Also, Try printing that on a network laserjet printer with 4 mb. of ram.......Can't do it.....

Good Luck,,,

Jim
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 19th 2001#23944 Report
Better advice would be to go get a Quark book from the store....Quark is very easy program to work with......But there are some important things you need to know....I've seen books around 20 dollars that'll get ya WAY up to speed. I also had to create a "How to use Quark Xpress 4.0" presentation for work. If i can find it I'll send it to you...It just cover the absolute basics, but with the basics, you'll be able to really do some nice stuff with it....It's the best program of it's kind....(Actually havent tried InDesign, which I hear is pretty cool)..

Any other Questions, Holler,

Jim
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 19th 2001#23950 Report
Jim, InDesign was wasted money for our firm....it S.U.C.K.S.

we bought it with the presumption we would have clients upgrading to it... it never happened.... in fact...

Remember Adobe said "inDesign is Adobe's future in page layout... we will release a "bug fix" version of Pagemaker called 6.5 plus, then we will be discontinueing Pagemaker"......

Well, guess what... version 7 of pagemaker released several months ago....That is adobe pretty much saying "Yeah, InDesign "Bombed" "
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum