TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Format to save Illustrator files?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Nov 14th 2001#20566 Report

I've been told, but not convinced, to save all Illustrator files as .eps -- not native illustrator, .ai !

Comments, suggestions?

Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 14th 2001#20577 Report
Depends on what you expect to do with them. EPS is good, AI is good. Never mind the sun, it's freezing here....

Go with your tips.....
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 14th 2001#20580 Report
On the mac even if i specify an "illustrator eps" it still has the .ai extension....

Long story short..... Save -AS-
and save it as a version 5.5 Illustrator eps and the problem will be gone.

CorelDraw, Illustrator and FreeHand ALL will open the 5.5 .ai file....
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 15th 2001#20582 Report
I believe that if it's EPS, it can be opened in Photoshop aswell.....I tried it before and it sure did so.....Not sure what other programs that can open a EPS file.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 15th 2001#20583 Report
Okay, (the light is slowly fading to on), I understand using .eps to go to Photoshop or another application, but what if I just want to save it and work on it some more with Illustrator? Doesn't the .ai save ALL the necessary info to define the file? Plus, isn't the .eps epically bigger?

Not questioning you, just questioning myself!

Thanks for the help, btw.

~Dan
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 15th 2001#20585 Report
eps and .ai both are importable into photoshop and they both will save all layers included in the original illustrator file...
*edit*
That didn't sound right.... PHotoshop will not have them on seperate layers! All the (visible) layers will just rasterize.
*/edit*

I'm not sure where you are headed with the file... but I have an idea that the problem they are trying to get you around is They don't have Illustrator.... The way to get around that is to use the old illustrator formats (5.5 and lower)

I helped Charm with a similar problem a while back...

If you want shoot me the file and I'll give you back 3 or 4 files that ANYONE on "earth" can use at least ONE of.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 15th 2001#20603 Report
.eps files will open in just about any vector program. I do a lot of sticker work on my car and other people's cars, and if you want to get a custom logo to the vinyl cutter, they generally request the file to be in ".eps" format. And the 3 main vinyl cutters that I work with all use different software, and they DON'T use any "off-the-shelf" software products do to their cutting.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 15th 2001#20623 Report
Torn: it's not a specific file I'm referring to, it a procedural issue @ work for how we handle files internally. If I understand correctly:

If you are staying within Adobe applications, there is no advantage or need to go to .eps format.

If you want to export data, or go to some 'other' application, .eps is the standard.

How'd I do, Teach?

Thanks guys!
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 16th 2001#20648 Report
You've got it licked.

That is in a nutshell how I handle it.

As force of habit I use "save as" and save as a version 5.5 "illustrator eps" (note it still will have the .ai extension coming from illustrator) ALWAYS... even if I'm gonna stay on Adobe apps... you never know when that dude from "wherever" might want that file.

I should also say CorelDraw is a GREAT "middle man", when making files from .ai's and .eps' for everyone.... I use it all the time and it has a TON of "export" file types.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 16th 2001#20671 Report
I convinced our new industrial designer to switch to .ai (she ALWAYS used .eps) based on "the graphics guys from teamphotoshop said...". The file went from 27Megs down to 500K.

:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum