TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Triggering multiple popup/downloadable files from Flash

Page: 1 Reply
May 6th 2005#168090 Report
I am building my personal portfolio site in Flash MX and want to have users be able to click a button for each piece of art, which would then download (or open) a .pdf file to their hard drives so that they can get a better view of the art.
I can't find help any where on how I should do the code for multiple downloadable files. Does someone know how to do this???
I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 7th 2005#168101 Report
Do you mean some kind of shopping cart function that stores your choices until you're ready to download?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 7th 2005#168104 Report
if i'm reading your question right all you have to do is create a button with a getURL action linked to each pdf for each piece of art.

personally i wouldnt do it that way as i wouldn't want to be downloading a bunch of pdf's, i'd rather link to a bigger image with an option to download a pdf if they want to.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
May 9th 2005#168130 Report
The thought is that the viewer can see a mid-sized "thumbnail" of some of the design, and if they wished to get a closer look, they then could download a pdf to see the piece in its entirity. Regardless of what I am trying to achieve, I need to know how to achieve multiple downloads within a Flash document. I can't get more than one download to work.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 9th 2005#168132 Report
whatever you're trying to achieve my answer is still the same

using a getURL on each button should work just fine. if it doesn't you've got a code error somewhere, if you can show some examples/post code/etc. someone can prob offer a bit more help.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
May 10th 2005#168142 Report
yup just make buttons with this code.

on(release) {
getURL("the url to your pdf", "_blank");
}
Reply with Quote Reply
May 10th 2005#168143 Report
Ok, it doesn't quite work correctly for me... When I put that code in and created a test file, it opened a blank browser window, but then just highlighted the document in my file location (hard drive location). It didn't launch the pdf. I used the code exactly as you gave me on my button. Am I missing something? Do the files need to be uploaded first, and not working directly from my hard drive?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 10th 2005#168144 Report
Ooooh! I got it to work once I uploaded it to my ftp server! Apparantly you can't really test it off of your hard drive. Thanks so much for the help!!! It was so simple. No one told me that all I had to do was upload it to get it to work!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 10th 2005#168145 Report
hehe... Sorry I thought you knew that :P
But good that you got it working.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 10th 2005#168146 Report
Another quick question: When you click on the button, it opens a new blank window while it simultaneously downloads the .pdf file, and then opens the .pdf file. Is there a way to automatically have that blank window that opens close so that it isn't just sitting there on top of everything???
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum