TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Flash Help --> Adding Hyperlinks

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jun 14th 2004#153336 Report
I purchased a template from TemplateMonster.com. My issue is that I cannot find how to add/modify hyperlinks to the buttons.

The source file is available here: http://www.rdi1.com/sidemenu.fla

I read through the manual about using actionscript, but that is way over my head at this point in my flash-learning.

I seem to only have one button instance in my library, and I don't know if I need a different button for each link. I can only seem to apply the actionscript to the top button instance of Button23.

See this image: http://www.rdi1.com/flashhelp.png

Please look at my Flash source and help me out. I'm stuck.

Please advise,
Thanks,
Matt
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 14th 2004#153344 Report
This should explain it:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts/actionscript_dictionary/actionscript_dictionary377.html

Just click on the button you want (make sure it is selected) open the action windows and it should say somehing like this:

on (release) {
getURL(yourUrlHere, "_blank");
}

or similar.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 14th 2004#153346 Report
*looking at your image* Those buttons look like invisible buttons, ie. they only have a hit state and they are just on top of the actual graphic button.

You can either make a unique button, or you can make one and just give it a different action, or you can make a component with button features.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 14th 2004#153351 Report
"I seem to only have one button instance in my library, and I don't know if I need a different button for each link"

No you dont. You can create multiple instances (they're already there) of that same button and still apply different actionscripts to each.

" I can only seem to apply the actionscript to the top button instance of Button23."

The reason being because you are currently inside of the "News Button" movieclip. Pay attention to the hierarchy on the left side of the actions window.

I cant open your file (flash 5) but it looks like you should click "button final" up there in the nav bar. (going up one level into the previous movie clip). Then select the next movie clip (double click to open it) and find the next instance of button23.

From there just edit the "getURL()"

As an alternative method, on the left side of the actions window, scroll up and select the next instance of button23...then edit the URL and scroll through again to find any other instances.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 15th 2004#153404 Report
Marble, I tried your method, and I get output errors when I publish:
------------------------
**Error** Symbol=contact us button, layer=Layer 3, frame=1:Line 1: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances
on(press) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1
------------------------
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 15th 2004#153416 Report
Ok I opened your file. On the main timeline is that big button movie clip. Double click on that to go into it. that is where your buttons are. Now you will see each button has a transparent button layer. Put the above code I suggested on each button.

For external links you will need to put http:// in front. Local links are fine as pages.

*edit* When you double click on that movie in the main timeline, you will be on Scene1 - button final From here you will want to double click the movie layer on the button.
So you will be in:
Scene1 - button final - news button

This is where the code is (for the news button). If you click the button layer and open the actions panel you will see this code:
on (rollOver) {
gotoAndPlay(2);
}
on (rollOut) {
gotoAndPlay(11);
}

Just add this after it:

on(release){
getURL("http://www.google.ca", "_blank");
}

for example
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 15th 2004#153452 Report
Thanks Marble, I'll give that a try tomorrow when I get to work.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 16th 2004#153480 Report
If yo still have trouble with it, it looked fairly quick. I could do it tomorrow (for 1 million billion dollars!).
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 16th 2004#153569 Report
I'm still having trouble with it. I can add it to the News button fine, but the other buttons will not allow me to add it to it. I understand I'm doing it wrong, so I shouldn't say that it's a problem with the other buttons. Whatever I'm doing I keep getting the output errors when I attempt to publish.

OK Marble, maybe this will help. I successfully added the hyperlinks to the top button, and the bottom 4 buttons. I re-uploaded the file with the one that I modified correctly.

And I don't have anywhere near a million billion dollars, so I'm going to have to beg for help for now.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 16th 2004#153573 Report
Got it.... What are the links you want to put in there?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum