TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

pop-up windows from flash

Page: 1 Reply
Feb 18th 2004#142681 Report
Hi. I was hoping I could get some advice on how to create those pop-up windows that you see in flash movies..like the ones you see in the Portfolio section where you click on a thumbnail and a window pops up without browser stuff...just a window with a close tab at the corner. Thanks!
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 18th 2004#142695 Report
ok, are you wanting to do a flash window IN flash or pop-up an html window FROM flash? two very different things...

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142814 Report
I'd prefer it to be in Flash. However, the way I was trying to go about it was through html and it seems there's no way to do it without getting all the browser stuff at the top. If there's a way to accomplish the same end result within the Flash movie, that would be even better. Thanks!
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142818 Report
well, doing a window in flash involves understanding some flash basics like how a movieclip works and controling a movieclip from other buttons. you might also want to make the window draggable (there's a tutorial on teamps that explains the basics of that, tho its a bit old).

so i guess my first question is, how much flash do you know?

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142821 Report
All the things you said I need to have a basic understanding of, I do. I can make movie clips, movie clips within buttons and all that. All I know with Flash has been self-taught. Occassionally I run across things I just can't work my through and this is just one of them. What I want is to have an interface on the Portfolio section of my company's web site (www.bluedogmedia.com) that allows the user to click on a thumbnail of a particular piece and get a window that pops up separate from the Flash window that contains the larger view of that item. Although now I'm considering bagging the idea of a separate window and just having the thumbnail (which is a button) go to another frame that contains the larger version on the stage. It's just a matter of where to put each thing on the page without interfering with the design. Thanks for advice/help. -Julie
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142845 Report
Although now I'm considering bagging the idea of a separate window and just having the thumbnail (which is a button) go to another frame that contains the larger version on the stage.

Dont. The reason being it will increase your file size.

Id go with a basic html window. A graphic window within flash is too much work for such a simple task. You need 2 things:

1) a script in your html page (the same page that contains the flash movie). Flash will talk with this script.....and this script will then pop open a new window. (put this in the header)

function jpgwindow(url,name,width,height) {
imagewin = window.open(url,name,width,height);
}

(add javascript tags)

2) the actionscript for the thumbnail. Here you will define all the variables (width height etc)

on (release) {
getURL ("javascript:jpgwindow('yourpage.html','windowname','width=?, height=?'); ");
}

Also you could add scrollbars=yes or resizable=yes or any other parameters.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142851 Report
Or control it all from outside of the flash movie.

http://visualintensity.com/flash.php?version=mx2004&tutorial=sizedwin
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 19th 2004#142857 Report
It worked! I knew it had to be something fairly simple. Thanks so much!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum