TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

cybling boy, your advice please

Page: 1 Reply
Dec 13th 2003#133204 Report
Hello,

I have just acquired Maya. A very intimidating program to say the least.

I was toying with 3DsMax before Maya an pretty much know close to nothing even then.

I'm considering the following books:

Introducing Maya: 3D for Beginners

And

(received bad reviews)
Learning Maya 5: Foundation

Can you advise me in regards to these books. Have you read any or recommend any?

Thanks
Fess
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 20th 2003#134315 Report
i dont really know why you've just 'toyed' with Max and left. Max will do anything you want it to.. Maya is really similar to Max, just things are called different things etc. Max is much easier to learn though and really, the two programs are almost identitical due to Max 6.0 coming out. Discreet hired the same programmers Alias used for their Maya. To me, there is no reason to stop Max and start Maya unless you are training for a job that requires Maya knowledge. The book that comes with Maya is excellent i believe. I wouldn't buy a book though...just look at almost 1000 tutorials listed on www.learningmaya.com

But if you insist, this book would probably be the best, ive heard it's good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713723/wwwboris3dde-20/102-4192783-6109768
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 21st 2003#134353 Report
there's TONS of tutorials with the maya PLE (which is what i'm sure you got since that's the best way to "acquire" maya) DVgarage also just put out a maya training cd that's probably incredible if its anything like the rest of their stuff.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 21st 2003#134392 Report
dont forget www.gnomononline.com their vids kick ass
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 21st 2003#134400 Report
Hey guys,

I appreciate the input

Actually I had no real intension of learning 3dsmax as I was waiting for Maya all along. A buddy offered me Max as I waited an I thought it would be a good orientation into third dimension via, tools and terms etc. (I had zero experience)

I also noticed that these programs have similar tools to Photoshop and some that's not (Nurbs, polys, subdivision surfaces etc.)

Personally, I'm finding Maya easier to use if you can believe that. I like the layout of the tools and the ease of working with the panels/hotkeys/hotbox.

I've already ordered the MayaFundmentals. An looking forward to reading it from cover to cover.

Have a Merry Christmas.....what's on ya wish list?

I'd like a 2004 330xi in navy blue or charcoal gray ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 21st 2003#134433 Report
Originally posted by Fess
A buddy offered me Max

*pretends he didn't read that*
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 21st 2003#134463 Report
*ignores it too*

and i asked santa for a gamecube, we'll see if he brings it

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top