TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Help!!!! 3DS Max 6

Page: 1 Reply
Dec 2nd 2003#131531 Report

I have NO idea what I'm doing with 3DS Max at work. I just got it loaded and the guy I need to have help me is travelling this week.

We use it to do renderings of our product CAD files (plastic bottles). I've got a bitmap of the label I doctored in PS and I need to map it onto an object (offset surf) for the label.

I've loaded a material, done a UVW map... arrrgh...

I need to take a deep breath.

Anyone wants to PM me their phone #, I'll call on my companies dime.
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 2nd 2003#131556 Report
cyb can prob help you more than me, i know little to nothing about max. i don't know that you'd need to uv map the object tho, you should be able to either do a planar map (if its a flat surface you're mapping onto) or a cylindrical map (if its a bottle or something similar). try playing with those mapping options on your object, changing your axis if needed to get it to display right. i'll see if i can dig up a tutorial on anything like that for ya.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 2nd 2003#131561 Report
k, here's an intro to uvw mapping tute, try just using the planar/cylindrical first to see how it works tho.

chris

p.s. i'm available if you need me to render you something in LW, just let me know
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 3rd 2003#131688 Report
Thanks, Fig.... I got it. I had to apply the bitmap to the Diffuse attribute of the map. I had the UVW mapping okay, not the material property. I was trying to create a 2D material, not applying it to the current one under the mapping.

I'd show you the results, but it's a top secret project. Maybe after it's a go I'll post.

Thanks again!
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 4th 2003#131790 Report
good deal man, glad ya figured it out. definitely shoot me an image when you can, i'm curious.

so are you hooked on 3d now or do you never want to do it again?

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 6th 2003#132098 Report
sorry im too late! We just covered UVW mapping and Unwrapping this week :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 6th 2003#132111 Report
We've decided we might contract someone to design us a kitchen in 3DS... :D It's so when we design a bottle, we can just add it to the scene and render it... all lighting would be set, just put the bottle on a counter or maybe the table or maybe next to the sink or stove.

The bummer is my boss said he doesn't just want me to pay someone with Paypal... he wants the person set up as a vendor, ie. tax ID or social security #, etc. If you guys know someone who's really good with 3DS, cheap, and needs pizza money--let me know ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Dec 7th 2003#132173 Report
dangit, if only i were a max user...

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum