TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Slices in Flash?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jun 26th 2003#110439 Report
When rolling over my text links the mouse only triggers on the letters. I would like for the mouse to trigger any where around the word. What is the easiest way to do that. I was thinking I had to draw a box behind the word and then save it as a symbol, but there should be a better way of doing it.
ANY SUGGESTIONS.
To know what I am talking about
go to www.siglergraphics.com/Untitled-3.html the links dont work just test the rollover state.
THANK YOU for any input
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2003#110554 Report
just create a button with a keyframe and box only in the hit state (no other keyframes/frames), then use that button behind your text to trigger the actions.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2003#110555 Report
Maybe Fig said exactly this, but....

Type your text, make it a button-symbol, make all keyframes (F6), activate the "hit" one, and draw a rectangle over the button where you want the button to "be".

Then, as I can see you already have, use the "over" frame to make an overmovie and that...

*is a bit post-pubbish* :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2003#111176 Report
Thanks! I figured that would work but I didnt know if there was a way around having to draw a box. Is there anything like a slice or hot spot in flash?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 1st 2003#111185 Report
the box you draw in the "HIT"-frame won't be visible anywhere, it's a sort of "slice", but you just draw it there with something.
Or am I missing your question?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 2nd 2003#111318 Report
You answered it. I now know a box will work. I was thinking that their could be a better way of doing it. So you wouldn't have to draw a box. I thought maybe you could make a slice without drawing the box. I will use the box, its just too bad that flash doesn't have slices.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 2nd 2003#111331 Report
i'm not seeing the difference between a "slice" that you want to create and creating an invisible button. you can use any shape you want to for the hit state btw, it doesn't have to just be a box.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2003#111411 Report
Ok, i think that things would be clearer if the "hit state" was explained.

The hit state defines the area where the button can be "hit," or clicked.

so if in the hit state you have the text, then only hte parts with text can be clicked.

If you had a box that encompassed most of the text word, then you would get a button that has a small rectangular box with the text inside it that could be clicked.

Of course, like fig said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a box. It could be an oval, in which case it would define an area that is oval shaped that you could click to activate the button.

The hit state isn't visible during the movie; it is only defining an area which can be clicked.

hope that cleared something up

pat
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2003#111456 Report
There is no difference it all works the same. I will use that way of doing it. I just thought it seemed weird that you have to draw a object to get the slice. I understand the hit part, but what about rollover state. Will the box work the same?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2003#111457 Report
yes, the "slice" that you keep calling it ;) ..is the area where the button is activated, be it up, over, or down.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum