TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Using Director to Build Website

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110255 Report
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask everyone their opinion on Director being used for the sole purpose of making a website.

Anyone know of any reasons as to why someone “shouldn’t” use director for the sole purpose of making a website?

I realize that Flash is the preferred tool because there’s so much more you can do with it however Director can do some neat things as well.

I just finished a course in college on Director and I was interested in making my website into a director website. I don’t know how effective it would be on the web or how fast it would be. I was told to try and keep it below 5mb.

Any insight on using director for building a website would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys and Gals.
:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110274 Report
Does director make flash files? If so, then you may be able to do it. Making a whole site out of shockwave or whatever is a bad idea though. People would have to use the plug-in to see the site, and some people's computer would be too slow to run it well. And you don't want a web site to be anywhere near 5megs. More like 50k.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110308 Report
Well I figured people would have to download a plugin regardless of which I used whether it was Flash or Director. Both need plugins. In director your converting all your pages to swf files so I think the files could be used in flash. Or the whole director file could be used in flash.

Maybe I'll just have to make a mock up of a website in director and see how it runs online.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110312 Report
exactly, i was just about to say that, do a mock up. Shockwave stuff can be huge. Hehe, my own site is 12k!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110316 Report
Almost everyone has the Flash plug-in, and it comes pre-installed on most browsers. Not shockwave though. Why make people download a plug-in? Just make the site in HTML and link to a shockwave file if there is something amazing that you just have to do with director.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 25th 2003#110372 Report
Here's a project I did for a class assignment using director. Can you guys tell me if it runs smooth and quickly on your computer?

http://www.flackstudios.com/Cameron_Project3_html.htm
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2003#110378 Report
Nevermind, not working.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum