TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Printing setup in Illustrator 10

Page: 1 Reply
May 30th 2003#105786 Report
I have a question, I'm still a newbie at illustrator.

I'm wondering if there is a way in Illustrator that will let you choose scale to fit media on print option?

Instead of you change the paper size and manually scale the artwork to fit the paper size, I'd like to automatically let it scale to fit the paper size whenever I want to print on any size of paper.

I hope this make sense... and if anyway can help, I'd really appriciate it!

Thank you,

nobopyon
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105789 Report
I think that's usually a funtionality provided by the printer's driver, and not by an application.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105790 Report
Well.... I can do that in photoshop though... but it is under print option, and illustrator doesn't have print option..

hmmm
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105791 Report
Have you set up your document size in Illustrator to match the size of stock you're running through your printer?

That's what I've always done.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105792 Report
I'm sorry, but how do I do that? do you mind explain?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105793 Report
Sure...it's easy.

Say, for example, you're going to be printing on 11" X 17" paper.

Go to File---»Document Setup... And use that dialogue to specify your paper size. There are presets, or you can enter in your own dimensions for "Custom." Decide whether you're doing a Portrait or Landscape orientation. This will also be tied to your Page Setup, in that there will be (non-printing) dotted lines that will show up overlaying the document boundries on the pasteboard. This will show the imageable areas as specified by your printer's driver.

These dotted lines can be hidden (View---»Hide Page Tiling).

This should be enough info to get you going, and it was written with respect to Illustrator 8...10 may be a little different, but the Help Files will direct you toward anything specifically that might have changed.

You'll also need to know your particular printer's margin measurements, so you can take into account how much ACTUAL area on the page is imageable, and what might get cut off because of the printer's limitations. Run a couple test documents with simple lines that run the full length and width of the document in Illustrator. This way, you can pull out a ruler and measure the REAL margin sizes. Place and lock guidlines in your document so you can easily see the printable area's boundries.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105822 Report
hey, thank you, Utopian23!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 30th 2003#105836 Report
Hey, good...glad you got it sussed.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum