TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Metallic flake paint job

Page: 1 Reply
May 1st 2001#2714 Report
I was wondering if anyone had a method/tute for making a metallic flake paint job effect in PS. What I mean is that sparkley kind of paint found on cars and those kooky iron on t-shirts from the 70's that I remember so fondly etc. I figure it's some sort of noise layer over a color layer but I can't get the white areas of the noise to sparkle. Help me out if you can. I know how to go about it in 3D programs but I want to know what to do for PS.

Thanks,
C.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 2nd 2001#2777 Report
Haha! I love those '70s sparkle t-shirt iron-ons. I've got a baseball tee with a sparkley Pink Panther riding a skateboard on it, it's the greatest. :D My car has a mild metallic paint job, too.

I don't know of any existing tutorials but this is the best I could do to get the sparkley effect in Photoshop:

Create a new image, then create a new layer and fill that layer with the color of the paint you want. In my case I used a teal blue (the color of my car.) Then Filter > Noise > Add Noise Set the amount somewhere around 80-100 and make it Gaussian and monochromatic. Create a new layer on top of that and fill it with the same color you filled the other one with. Change the layer opacity to about 60%. Now go back to the noise layer and go to Image > Adjust > Levels, and move the shadows/black triangle on the left further to the right... to about the 100 - 120 mark. I also like to hike up the saturation. Then to make those highlights sparkle: Create a new layer on top of everything. Fill it with black. Filter > Noise > Add Noise again with the same specs as the first time. Now Image > Adjust > Levels and move that shadow/black triangle to the right to about the 160 mark or so... or 'till you get what looks like a mildly starry sky. Now set the layer mode to "Lighten" to get rid of the black and only leave the white sparkley parts. That should do it! You can even add reflections or sparkles. Here is an example of the finished effect:

http://pixiestuff.homestead.com/files/metallicpaint.gif

Hope this helps or at least points you in the right direction. Good luck.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum