TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

MAking a selection of only a color in photoshop??

Page: 1 2 Reply
Aug 1st 2010#199647 Report
First off I want to introduce myself and say Im excited to join this forum, Ive read through a bit and it seems to be great. I look forward to making a positive contribution here.

Ok here is an example of what I am trying to do.

Say I am working on a photo of a car and I use the color replacement brush to paint the red car blue.

I now want to make a level adjustment but only affect the places that i painted with the brush.

If I use the select color range tool it selects grey scale aas well as color it picks up different shades of this color other places in the image.

Since I know that the exact color I painted the car probably does not exist anywhere in the image(the exact color, not regarding luminosity)
isnt there a way to just select only this color so i can make a really clean mask to make other adjustments?

I know this is a bit vague, but I trying my best to explain the situation.
The color replacement tool in "color" mode does not affect luminosity it only affects the color of the pixel.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 1st 2010#199649 Report
you may be able to use the replace color filter, If I picture your situation correctly
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2010#199650 Report
I dont think I can make a selection with this tool though.

I want to be able to make a selection based on the color of a pixel, not its luminosity. That way i can make a new layer of this selection and apply things like levels/saturation/exposure....
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2010#199651 Report
if you use the color picker you will see the rgb values will say something like
r:26
b:50
g:24

if the luminosity of this color gets brighter it will be something like

r:27
b:51
g:25

It is the same ratios, just more luminosity value.

So how can you make a selection based solely on the ratio?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2010#199676 Report
I have not used alpha chanells much.. Could you explain to me how to do what your talking about?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 2nd 2010#199677 Report
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 3rd 2010#199678 Report
it helps a little, but can i make a mask with this ? Or am I limited to the adjustments within this tool?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 3rd 2010#199679 Report
depends, can you create another layer with just the color you are selecting?If yes then you have your mask

without the picture we are steering blind
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 4th 2010#199700 Report
hi,
idad a lot better than me just novice... but i was thinking, using your car as a example... wouldn't it had been better to start off, selecting the parts of the car you want to change color, maybe using the pin tool to get a nice sharp path and from that make a verctor mask change to a selection.
and save that (where you can call it up again if need to, and then you have a number of ways to make color changes and if adding color with in the selection then that can be done on a seperate layer...

oh you might find this tutorial, one of my favorites., about different ways to colorize... interesting.... there two or 3 techniques that involves cars..
http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/colorize/

fenix1 said:First off I want to introduce myself and say Im excited to join this forum, Ive read through a bit and it seems to be great. I look forward to making a positive contribution here.

Ok here is an example of what I am trying to do.

Say I am working on a photo of a car and I use the color replacement brush to paint the red car blue.

I now want to make a level adjustment but only affect the places that i painted with the brush.

If I use the select color range tool it selects grey scale aas well as color it picks up different shades of this color other places in the image.

Since I know that the exact color I painted the car probably does not exist anywhere in the image(the exact color, not regarding luminosity)
isnt there a way to just select only this color so i can make a really clean mask to make other adjustments?

I know this is a bit vague, but I trying my best to explain the situation.
The color replacement tool in "color" mode does not affect luminosity it only affects the color of the pixel.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 4th 2010#199708 Report
****.:mad:

no help here I guess.

Where are the pro's at?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum