TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

opening raw images

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 4th 2010#199041 Report
I have recently started using Photoshop CS4 and have started using Raw files. However, when I open the files in CS4, they open in a different window to begin with from where you can make adjustments before continuing to open in the main Photoshop programme.

Whilst I do not understand the reason for this, my main question is related to the default alterations made to the image in this initial window. For some reason, the colours of the images (compared to when I open the jpeg files) are made much flatter, and generally a little over exposed.

I have tried everything I can in the settings of this initial opening window, but I cannot get the image to open in it's true colours.

Please can someone tell me what to do?

Thanks
Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 16th 2010#199124 Report
The reason for this is that RAW images are not processed. There are no default alterations. You can think of it as sort of a digital version of a negative. It in itself is not a picture but it contains everything to make a picture. The different window that opens is like a darkroom, you have to manipulate all those adjustments to make it ready to print or whatever you want to do with it. The pictures look flatter because there has been no processing of things like white balance, color saturation, contrast, and sharpness that are included in .jpgs. There is no reason to use RAW unless you understand how to "develop" these images and also intend to do so. You say you cannot get it to open in its true colors, but that is in fact what you are doing, opening it before it is processed into the colors you think are what are supposed to be. Does this make sense?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 21st 2010#199157 Report
dont know what your camera is if i assume its a nikon.... the images should open as shot and the bridge will open it in a program that will allow you to adjust the camera settings for your use there will be a series of adjustments at the top of the opening program ie: calibration lens correction levels etc they become nefs also converting to dng while loading usually maintains good quality for reuse .....keeping originals in nef (raw) will allow you to go back if there are any mistakes or changes that need to be made .......nef,tiff psd will always allow for maxim adjustments i hope this helps.........
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2010#199276 Report
Thanks dennis
Still not sure why it is that if I preview the RAW image in MS Gallery, the colours are more vivid. Surely, given what has been said, the file is saved with the 'flatter' colours.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum