TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Resizing pixilation

Page: 1 Reply
Aug 9th 2009#198263 Report
Hey, I am very new to photoshop and I have a very large Jpg, the size of a movie poster (27 inches x 41 inches). I am trying to make the entire thing the size of a postcard. When I make it smaller it becomes pixilated. It was 300 dpi before I resized and now I can see pixels. Am I resizing it wrong? Is there a different way I can resize it? Thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 9th 2009#198264 Report
hi,

what you might try when you go to resize... there on the drop down pick either bicubic sharper or bicubic smooth ... one of those wil generally give you much better results when drasticaly reduce the size ........

Ctopkis said:Hey, I am very new to photoshop and I have a very large Jpg, the size of a movie poster (27 inches x 41 inches). I am trying to make the entire thing the size of a postcard. When I make it smaller it becomes pixilated. It was 300 dpi before I resized and now I can see pixels. Am I resizing it wrong? Is there a different way I can resize it? Thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 15th 2009#198328 Report
The difference you're seeing is the way that edges and straight lines, especially diagonals, are re-sampled using bi-linear as opposed to bi-cubic sampling. Bi-cubic will always add some 'anti-aliasing' interpolation to straight edges. This makes it far superior for increasing the size of an image, but can give much softer looking edges when downsizing.Having said that, I've never bothered to change resampling modes from bi-cubic when reducing the size of an image. I find that either the standard sharpen filter followed by some 'fade sharpen' works well, or the use of the unsharp mask tool. Maybe your images contain a lot of straight lines, like architecture pics perhaps?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum