TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Merging layer into multiple selected layers?

Page: 1 Reply
Aug 7th 2009#198247 Report
Hi there,

I've searched everywhere about this and none of my friends could help me either :(

I'm making an animated GIF, and what I want to do is overlay each layer of the animation with a layer of text. I know the hard and long way by creating a copy of the text layer and merging it with each and every layer of the animation, but is any faster way of doing this?

Sorry if I didn't explain it 100%, just tell me and I'll try explaining more thoroughly.

Thanks in advance,
Ruben
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2009#198249 Report
Sure - assuming the text will remain the same through the course of the animation - just create another layer that has your text on it, or whatever background you want, and slide that layer to the bottom of your layers palette. When you animate, just make sure this one layer is visible in all your animation frames. You'll be animating over the top of this one static image.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2009#198253 Report
Thanks for the reply Raijer

I'm having a little trouble doing what you explained.
I made this quick animation, as you see I couldn't get it right:

Here's the layer ordering:
http://i32.tinypic.com/ogl8ye.png

Sorry for the trouble, I've just recently started playing around with Photoshop :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 8th 2009#198256 Report
Ah, I see now. The animation is both opaque and covers the entire area. Having a "background" layer won't do you any good in this specific case, because you're just covering it up. Still, essentially, my answer remains the same, except here, you'll want your text layer on the TOP of the layers palatte.

Now, I can't really know what you mean by "getting it right," because I'm not sure what you're going for. I CAN tell by looking at your animation frames that the animation is playing out exactly the way you have it set up.

I'm going to guess that you want the static text to lay over the constantly looping black and red gradient. If so, make your text white, and put that text layer on top of the layers palette. Under that, label your four animation layers as "Layer 1, "Layer 2," etc.. Once that is done set up your four animation frames like this:

Frame 1. Text layer + Layer 1 visible (everything else invisible)
Frame 2. Text layer + Layer 2 visible (everything else invisible)
Frame 3. Text layer + Layer 3 visible (everything else invisible)
Frame 4. Text layer + Layer 4 visible (everything else invisible)

Hopefully, I guessed what you were going for!
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 8th 2009#198257 Report
Thanks so much Raijer, got it!

Edit: Do you by any change know a faster way of selecting multiple frames on the "Animation" window at the bottom? "CTRL+SHIFT CLICK" doesn't work :s

"CTRL+CLICK" does though, but that's one by one.

Edit 2: never mind! Just noticed the "Select All Frames"

Well good night and thanks again (:
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum