TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Patch tool - can it be rotated?

Page: 1 Reply
Mar 18th 2009#197019 Report
Is it possible to make a selection with the Patch tool and then rotate the selection to better match the destination area?

Some net info seemed to indicate that you could use Free Transform to rotate the selection, but when I tried it, it cut the selection away from its surrounds, leaving gaps in the image.

Thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2009#197021 Report
hi,
for the patch tool, I was hoping someone better than me and more knowledgeable answer your question.... i am looking at my cs one I don't see it possible..

for the most part you can only rotate (transform) the outline of the area and not the area itself.... now what you can do... is once you have the outline setup... you can then go to transforma and adjust the rotations and when finished then move the area yo want.. that will work.. that also may require a little triall and error like doing undo and untill you get the rotation just right before you do your final move ..

that my experience with the patch tool ..

possibly although I don't know what your trying to do or how viable it is to do it on your specific image... might look at using one of the select tools then do a copy and paste and then move and rotate as desired and then use one of the blending options... and see if that works just as well ...

portyporty said:Is it possible to make a selection with the Patch tool and then rotate the selection to better match the destination area?

Some net info seemed to indicate that you could use Free Transform to rotate the selection, but when I tried it, it cut the selection away from its surrounds, leaving gaps in the image.

Thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2009#197023 Report
Thanks for your response. What I'm trying to do is replace an area that I'd accidentally erased, while I was using Layer Masking. The area that I wanted to use as a source had a, let's say, diagonal edge, while the target area had a vertical edge. This is really no big deal, obviously I can fudge it around in smaller chunks. I guess I mostly wanted to nail this process down so I can make myself some notes and count on it doing what I want the next time.

Oddly, I DID get the patch to rotate using Free Transform, and I was able to move the selected area without a problem. But when I went back to do it again, and used Free Transform, when the patch rotated it left gaps in the image, which didn't happen the first.

Either the Patch system is flaky or it's me :-)

Re the Free Transform, maybe it would be OK if I could avoid the way it's chopping holes in the image, ie, just copying the selection - not moving it. Re the patch, Adobe Help says you can use any selection system you want, then you can select the Patch tool and carry on as usual.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2009#197024 Report
hi,
I was looking at a different menu for the transform (under select menu) .... and was referring to... and had problems with...

now the "free transform" and the "tranform " under the edit , i forgot about those....lol .... actually i am having fun leaning about the patch tooll .......

i was able to do.... select the area and then move it and then either use the free transform or the transform>rotate" i was able rotate the area without without leaving gaps ...

however... I noticed something was after i had move to distination and then transformed and then if i move again a little the tonal quality doesn't change to much as it should in fact... i radically changed the location... and started to lose parts of the selection .... I don't know what to make of that... iam thinking that it a either a cache issue or memory issue.....

portyporty said:Thanks for your response. What I'm trying to do is replace an area that I'd accidentally erased, while I was using Layer Masking. The area that I wanted to use as a source had a, let's say, diagonal edge, while the target area had a vertical edge. This is really no big deal, obviously I can fudge it around in smaller chunks. I guess I mostly wanted to nail this process down so I can make myself some notes and count on it doing what I want the next time.

Oddly, I DID get the patch to rotate using Free Transform, and I was able to move the selected area without a problem. But when I went back to do it again, and used Free Transform, when the patch rotated it left gaps in the image, which didn't happen the first.

Either the Patch system is flaky or it's me :-)

Re the Free Transform, maybe it would be OK if I could avoid the way it's chopping holes in the image, ie, just copying the selection - not moving it. Re the patch, Adobe Help says you can use any selection system you want, then you can select the Patch tool and carry on as usual.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 18th 2009#197025 Report
jerrylb, thanks again. I think the Path tool is a little bit less than perfect, know what I mean? Its results just aren't that consistent. Guess I'll fool about with the selectors first. What do you have to do to copy a selection instead of move it?
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 19th 2009#197028 Report
hi,
to copy a selection.... once you have it selected... there a couple of ways I use...
1. the simple ctrl+c (that copies) and then do the ctrl+v (that automatically paste to a new layer....

2. or after you selected.. do a ctrl+j that automatically copies the selected area to a new layer in one step

was that what you were looking for?

when i get a chance i am going to ask about these patch issue , on a couple of other boards i go to....

portyporty said:jerrylb, thanks again. I think the Path tool is a little bit less than perfect, know what I mean? Its results just aren't that consistent. Guess I'll fool about with the selectors first. What do you have to do to copy a selection instead of move it?
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 20th 2009#197042 Report
Here's the simple answer, from a guru on another PShop forum:

"To transform the selection and not the selected pixels use Select->Transform Selection".

It works like a charm.........
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 21st 2009#197051 Report
I was wrong - this fix only rotates the marching ants line, the selector boundary. It doesn't affect the clump of pixels inside the marching ants, which is what I want to rotate. Any further ideas would be welcome...:-)
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 28th 2009#197124 Report
Isn't that previous post kinda Spam-like? It certainly doesn't seem to be offering any help with this issue......:-(
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum