TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

How can I do this effect?

Page: 1 Reply
Feb 10th 2009#195846 Report
Hi!

I want to take a photo of a tree like this
and do a similar gradient/grainy effect as the one in this
. Any idea how I can do it?

Thank you!
Mr. Newb.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2009#195952 Report
Hi maff. Welcome! To be honest, I doubt that there's any type of effect added to the second tree. It simply looks like a photo of a tree that's been desaturated and reduced to one color. The only difference between the two trees (besides the use of green instead of black - an easy enough task in PS) is that the lower tree has a lot more highlights, which simply show up as white.

To do this yourself, take a pic of your tree in plenty of sunlight, perferably when the sun is overhead. If you have to extract the tree, and have it alone in the image like the trees above, I'd recommend shooting the tree against a clear sky. That'll make life much much easier when you have to mask out the tree from the background. Once this is done, go to Image > Image Adjustments > Desaturate, and then go back into Image Adjustments > Curves and move the two arrows at the bottom of the curves graph towards each other, playing around with them until you get a look that you like.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 20th 2009#196289 Report
All they did was take the image of the tree and apply a very subtle emboss.

For you to do this, you need to take the image of the tree you want and remove any unnecessary background. In doing so, you should have nothing but your tree and a transparent background. You can then apply the appropriate blending options to achieve the effect.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum