TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

can't open files using file open command

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1760 Report
I just installed photoshop 6 on my new 1.1gig athlon with 384 megs of ram. running windows me. I used the same program on my old pentium 233 with 64 megs of ram running win98.
Now when I go to File open and the dialog box opens if I use the dropdown box to change to the C drive it jumps to the desktop and trys to find files there. but the hourglass never goes away and photoshop stops responding.
I can use windows explorer to drag and drop files to photoshop but I can't use the file open command in photoshop.
Is this a problem with windows Me or the athlon? I can't find any info on this at the adobe site.
Anyone seen this problem before? I didn't have it on my old system.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1762 Report
make sure photoshop is closed

try rooting around in your photoshop folder and find the photoshop prefs file.....
move it to the desktop or the recycle bin (move not copy)
and then relaunch photoshop and see if that happens...
Photoshop will make another prefs file....you will lose any non default preferences

ooooOOO, another thing......how many drives are in the machine and is PS on the boot drive?
What drive is your scratch disk set to?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1769 Report
I only have one drive and which is C and photoshop is on it. All of my scrtch disc are set to C
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1770 Report
you should have all of the scratch disk options say "none" except the first one. (keeps ps from looking at the same drive over and over)

are you running PS6 or have you downloaded and installed the 6.01 patch?

if you haven't downloaded and installed that patch do so..its got a few bug fixes specifically for ME (per adobe forum)

did ya try trashing the prefs file?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1771 Report
I will set my scratch disc as you say and get the update from adobe. also the prefs file is in the windows/aplication data/adobe/photoshop 6/ folder.
I moved it to the desktop not copy but it didn't help.
I will try the update and see if it helps
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 15th 2001#1775 Report
tried the update and did a reboot but no help. this is a strange problem. thanks for your help anyway
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 16th 2001#1787 Report
If you built your comp I would recommend putting 98 on it. I use a hp 866MHz, 384 ram with ME on it at work, and my comp at home, which I built, a 500MHz with 256 ram. My point here is that my 500 beats the hell out of the comp I use at work. Its prob not just ME but I must say I hate it. May want to try 98 again, something to think about at least....
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 16th 2001#1788 Report
sorry, the 500 has 98 on it and a better hard drive for arguments sake :]
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2001#1831 Report
I have narrowed this down a little. If I tell it to look for any file format other than the default of all formats, it will not hang.

Hurray I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!! there was a internet shortcut on my desktop that had it's attributes set to read only. I changed the attribute to archive and it's fixed.

Thanks for everyones help

This happend when I moved some files from my old computer to my new one on a CD-RW and forgot to set the attributes after copy to the desktop!!!!!!!

Stupid mistake but easy to do.

USER ERROR
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum