TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Shape Layer Has Pixelated Edge When You Zoom In. Why?

Page: 1 Reply
Oct 21st 2008#181216 Report
Hello,

I created a new Photoshop document, and selected the Ellipse Shape Tool. On the Tool Options Bar I selected "Shape Layer" I drew an ellipse, and a new Shape Layer was created. I then used the Zoom tool to zoom in on the edge of the shape. The path that defines the edge was a thin, sharp line. But the color at the edge of the shape has a pixelated, chunky look.

Why isn't the color at the edge just as sharp as the path? Since the shape's edge is defined by a vector, I would have thought the color's edge would be sharp, not pixelated.

Thank you for any help and guidance you can provide.

Sincerely,
Curtis
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 21st 2008#181218 Report
Photoshop isn't a vector-based program. Anything vector I use Illustrator or any other vector-based app and then import into Shop.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 21st 2008#181235 Report
Thanks for your reply, PixelPusher40. I understand that Photoshop is not a dedicated vector art program, but it does have some vector capabilities - e.g., the Pen tool.

In my question I wasn't stating that I was lacking a capability that I could achieve in Illustrator. I was just wondering why the path that defines the edge of a shape retains its sharpness when I zoom in, but the color of the fill is pixelated where it touches the path line.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 23rd 2008#181242 Report
"I was just wondering why the path that defines the edge of a shape retains its sharpness when I zoom in, but the color of the fill is pixelated where it touches the path line. "

the path is classed as a vector, but when you want to make the shape, PS only has pixels to work w/, therefore it translates the vector as best it can. you'll never get a shape as smooth as your vector path, the most you can try to do is up your document resolution so you get a finer representation.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 24th 2008#181246 Report
Thank you, KillerWolf. Your explanation answers my question.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum