TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Setting max file size?

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 2nd 2008#180259 Report
Hey everyone, can someone help?

As lame as it sounds, im making a Bebo Page for a competition at work. I need to make the images have certain dimensions, and a max size, eg 760x375 pixels, and max size of 40K.

I cant find anywhere that i can set the max file file size and optimise the quality of the jpegs.

Right now they are poor quality when i finally get them small enough for uploading.

Can someone help please?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2008#180261 Report
hi,
the only place i know photoshop you can do that is under the file menu click "save for web" there you can adjust the quality manually (slide bar) to get your file size!!! ....

however........ keep in mind , with jpg format.... how much compression you apply in order to get the file size effects the quality... there is nothing you can do about that...... the greater the compression, the smaller the file size the less quality you have!!! .. it the nature of the jpg beast!!!

the only way to vary this is... is if you change your pixal deminsions smaller (like cropping if you can) ..... that way the file size is natuarlly smaller and you do not need to do as much compression...

Emptress said:Hey everyone, can someone help?

As lame as it sounds, im making a Bebo Page for a competition at work. I need to make the images have certain dimensions, and a max size, eg 760x375 pixels, and max size of 40K.

I cant find anywhere that i can set the max file file size and optimise the quality of the jpegs.

Right now they are poor quality when i finally get them small enough for uploading.

Can someone help please?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 3rd 2008#180262 Report
Emptress said:Hey everyone, can someone help?

Can someone help please?

On the assumption that you have resized the image in Photoshop, if you then use the Save For Web option you can see the effect of changing the compression amount has on file size.

There is no way in Photoshop to specify a maximum file size. You just have to alter the compression setting manually until you get the size you want. There are some third party applications which can do this. I seem to remember that one name JpegSizer had this option.

The file size will not give a standard quality in any case, as the eventual file size depends on the content of the image. If the image has lots of one colour or tone, it will usually compress to a smaller size for a given compression setting.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 7th 2008#180310 Report
Thanks for that! I got it sussed now.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum