TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Retain Transparency and Set Background Layer with PNG-24 Files

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 19th 2008#180094 Report
Retain Transparency and Set Background Layer with PNG-24 Files

Whenever Flickr converts a PNG-24 file to a JPG, the transparent background of the multilevel PNG gets converted to black. I do not want this. I want PNG-24 file to retain its transparency and have a background color set for handling JPG conversion.

I heard this can be done by creating a 100 percent transparent white layer, setting it as the background layer, and flattening the image.

How do I do this with Photoshop CS3?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2008#180103 Report
XP1 said:Retain Transparency and Set Background Layer with PNG-24 Files

Whenever Flickr converts a PNG-24 file to a JPG, the transparent background of the multilevel PNG gets converted to black. I do not want this. I want PNG-24 file to retain its transparency and have a background color set for handling JPG conversion.

I heard this can be done by creating a 100 percent transparent white layer, setting it as the background layer, and flattening the image.

How do I do this with Photoshop CS3?

As far as I am aware, the Jpeg format does not support any form of transparency.

All you can do, is to set the background to the same base colour of the web page where it is to be displayed.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2008#180104 Report
George Dingwall said:As far as I am aware, the Jpeg format does not support any form of transparency.

All you can do, is to set the background to the same base colour of the web page where it is to be displayed.
Ok, look at this example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawpa2000/2383573046/

The JPG background is black. How do I make the JPG background white while retaining the transparency of the PNG-24?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 19th 2008#180105 Report
XP1 said:Ok, look at this example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawpa2000/2383573046/

The JPG background is black. How do I make the JPG background white while retaining the transparency of the PNG-24?

As I said previously, you can't if Flickr is converting the PNG to a Jpeg. Jpeg simply does not support transparency of any kind.

If the black border area is part of your original image, then you could change that colour to white to match the background of the Flickr page it is being displayed on.

If the black border is part of the Flickr page, then you could make your image the same size as the image placeholder on Flicker, that would then eliminate the black border.

I'm afraid I've never used Flicker, and I don't use the PNG format, so I am unable to go into any detail of how either of these work.

As far as I can see from the Flickr site FAQs, the site should display native PNG files. I wonder then why yourimage on the your sample webpage above is showing as a .jpg format. Are you sure you have correctly uploaded your image so that it is not converted to a Jpeg file?

If Flickr does not display native PNG format images, then transparency just isn't an option if the image is being converted to Jpeg.

Sorry.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum