TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

printing mosaic filtered images

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1180 Report
some of my artwork uses this filter (filter/pixelate/mosaic) and I wonder if someone would mind clarifying a few things for me.

I have printed at A2 size at 8dpi via an epson inkjet with a rip and achieved great results, very sharp clean flat squares, no grain,
however on some printers the results have been grainy. Plotters for instance don't work.

I now want to have some A0 size prints made and I need very flat sharp results and I was wondering what kind of printer/setup to look out for to acheive these results.

Many thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1203 Report
More than likley what you are running into is a postscript printer vs. a NON postscript printer.

I have one of each and the non postscript printer always prints stuff looking really nasty.

BTW,

8 DPI ?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 9th 2001#1304 Report
thanks, I think you might be right, but those hewlet packard plotters have rips but they produce grainy prints. Aren't rips postcript?

You can see why I'm confused, if the printer prints this kind of file at say 1200dpi the file itself is 8ppi, the plotters print is grainy, how is dpi relative to ppi.

(8ppi was the files resolution/size (?) which was left after resizing an image without resampling)

Cheers
Jim
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 9th 2001#1336 Report
dpi/ppi well for ease of explination....they are the same

I dont really see how you can come up with anything "good" at 8 ppi (pixels per inch) or dpi (dots per inch) your screen previews at 72 dpi/ppi.

as a general rule I have always used -whatever my line screen (lpi) I am printing at- multiplied times 1.414 (1.5)- to come up with my DPI/PPI for final print resolution.

i.e. an 85 line screen
lpi factor minimum dpi @ 100%
85 x 1.414 = 120.19
85 x 1.5 = 127.5

as things are enlarged the DPI goes down

example:

I scan a photo at 300 dpi/ppi
in photoshop (or whereever) reduce the photo to 50% of its original size without interpulating or anything.
whats the resolution of this photo now?
answer: 600 dpi/ppi (reducing the file's physicle size takes the resolution up.

on the flip side....same photo @ 300 dpi/ppi
I enlarge the photo to 200% of its original size
whats its resolution now?
answer : 150 DPI/PPI (blowing an image up brings the resolution down)

now keep in mind I haven't ever printed to a large format plotter so dont let me take you on a wild goose chase

I just know when we print things at work to our imagesetter those are the specifications.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2001#1358 Report
...about p.p.i and d.p.i. being the same thing. They're absolutely NOT the same.

The only time one measures an image using ppi is onscreen within the graphic design software application, in the scanning process or when talking about the resolution of images from a digital camera.

Read here for a quick answer.

Read Starting here for more detailed info (continue through the pages by clicking the "Next" button at the bottom of each page.

Here is another good explanation of the differences.

Hope this info clears some things up.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2001#1361 Report
ok, but just for arguements sake, go to image/image size (or "File/New" for that matter) and find the "DPI" resolution setting for me ;)

ALL I see is "pixels per inch" and "pixels per centimeter"

I know full well they aren't the "same" thing (REALLY).... but photoshop sure does give me 300 "dpi" when I set it for 300 "ppi"
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 10th 2001#1364 Report
All, I was REALLY trying to get across was at 8 ppi/dpi we are looking at pixels the size of "chicklets"
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum