TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Photoshop Slicing

Page: 1 Reply
Oct 26th 2003#126436 Report
I've been having some problems working on slices. I understand everything about slicing, how it works, how to Save to Web, etc. There is just one small detail that I've had trouble with.

When slicing for example about 20 slices on an image the slices get pretty complex. When I zoom in I notice that the slice lines are not directly on top of each other but have about 1-2 pixels between the other which causes another slice to be created between those 2 pixels. I've tried snapping to grid and other methods but can't really get these slices to fit together correctly.

Also, I've never been able to find a good tutorial on slicing. I've read lots of them but they just basically told me what I already know.

Does anyone know of any _good_ tutorials on this, hopefully that also get in-depth. Even some book recommendations would be good. I'm experienced in PS and know the basics.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 26th 2003#126439 Report
I get the same problem as well time to time. I would like to know as well.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 26th 2003#126440 Report
just turn your snap on for the slices themselves. that way u won't get any unexpected overlaps or gaps between them.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 26th 2003#126471 Report
^^^^ yep exactly what i was gonna say
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 27th 2003#126505 Report
Yeah View>Snap to>All.

You can put down some guides if you want, too.

tom
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 27th 2003#126528 Report
Yea, I used guides and the slice snapping. Same problem.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 28th 2003#126721 Report
When you get lines overlapping from slicing, make sure you have the slice tool. Then hold cntrl and it's convert to the slice select tool, or just pick the slice select tool from the toolbox. Select the slice you're working on, and then go back the the regular slice tool, and drag the nodes to resize your slices. If you have an added slice that forms in between. Then grab the other slice next to it and drag it until it's on top of the other one.

This will avoid having overlaps and added slices created. The slice select tool is the one that looks just like the slice tool but has the arrow on it.

You can also use the guides to form your slices. Then jump to Image Ready, and click on create slices and the whole thing slices up. Then you can right-click and pick "Merge Slices" for those that got sliced but you wanted to keep whole. This works great if you're doing a header or a smaller area (due to so many slices) but when working with a full layout, you may want to stick to it in PS.

Hope this helps some. Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 12th 2009#196978 Report
Snap to Grid is not the way to go.
You need to go to View>Snap To>Document Bounds (uncheck it) -this allows you to be able to move the slice out further to go against the previous one.
then zoom in and you can see if you put your mouse over the slice and you will see the double arrow which means you can then drag it to butt right up against the other slice so it will be numbered correctly (and you won't have extra pixels in between).
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum