TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Jaggies

Page: 1 Reply
Jun 26th 2001#6801 Report
I'm finishing my first quarter of Photoshop classes in school, and the one thing we didn't cover to my satisfaction is how to remove jaggies (we didn't focus to much on graphics created in Photoshop). Any tips on how to get rid of the evil jags? Can anyone provide me with a link to a favorite tutorial about de-jagging?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2001#6834 Report
de-jagging....

no such thing....there are tricks and little things that make them appear "nicer" but the simple fact remains, "you can't give an image data it doesn't already hold." and that is pretty much what it all boils down to.

I've seen people...
-guassian blur edge selections to get rid of them.
-painfully shape them up with paintbrush and pencil(to little avail)
-stroke outside edges
the list goes on and on
Any and every thing I've tryed to try to fix jaggies further degrades image quality or simply doesn't help "too" much. With the exception of simple recreating or copycatting the graphic.

An image with improper resolution gets jagged edges.
"improper"?
Well that depends on what you are doing.
On screen anything(almost) below 72 dpi is going to have jagged edges.
In printing (sounding like a broken record) minimum resolution is determined by what line screen at which you are printing.
Minimum printing resolutions are figured like this:

Line screen(LPI) X 1.414 = minimum image DPI

Most people use linescreen X 1.5 or even 2.0
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2001#6859 Report
Well, actually I'm referring to graphics created in Photoshop, such as buttons, balls, etc. So recreating the image would be redundant. I'm talking about suggestions on how to create graphics that are low on jagged edges to begin with, and how to eliminate any jaggies that result. These are especially common on objects with curved images.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2001#6874 Report
its called anti-aliasing... it fills in the edges with pixels close to the bground color to help them appear smooth, u can turn it on with the line tool, and a very slight blur can also give it that effect. you can do it with text, and im not sure, but i think when u rasterize a layer in 6.0, any vector shapes get anti-aliased or whatever heh

edit: one more thing, remember that when something uses anti-aliasing(spelling) its is generaly slightly blurred, and makes it harder to select the object with something like the magic wand or with the magnetic lasso...i suggest using the edit>extract tool to do the trick
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 26th 2001#6882 Report
Thanks! Just didn't know how to anti-alias too much outside of text. Rasterize is available for layers in 6.0, eh? Need to get more RAM so I can actually run 6.0 above a snail's pace.

Thanks again for the info!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum