TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Newbie Question Colour saturation for a scientific experiment

Page: 1 Reply
Mar 25th 2001#616 Report
I have to produce a seriese of about 150 colour prints for an experiment.
In the experiment people will be shown the pictures and given another stimuli, I cant go into details here (untill its published), but it should give some information on how people decide what food looks appatizing and how that depends on colour.

So i have some pictures that i have to change the colour of. To do that is very simple, i just shift the hue so many degrees round the colour wheel (in photoshop).

There is a problem though. When i take a picture of a bright red apple and change the hue by +36 degrees there is a very big change in the colour of the picture. When I take a picture of a rotting carrot and change the hue by + 36 degrees it only looks a bit more green, because rotting carrots are actually pretty much greys (Less saturation).

so the visual change imparted by a change in colour is dependent on the saturation and the lightness of the subject matter.

I think I can change the Lightness of my subjects quite easily in photoshop, by applying levels (setting the average value of all the greys in a picture to a value) but how do i do the equivilant for saturation? I need to make sure that all of my pictures have the same amount of colour in them irrispective of what that colour is.

Anyone got any ideas?

For that matter how to get rid of the tedium of adjusting cropping and otherwise making a load of ugly edditing on sooo many pics may help too!

tpe

Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 25th 2001#618 Report
I'm not shure if I know what you mean, but I'd say use the hue/saturation command. You can set color, saturation and lightness there. (You should have the colorize box checked)
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 28th 2001#717 Report
Why not try using image/adjust/color balance ?
There's options in there for shadows, midtones and highlights.....
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 30th 2001#789 Report
image/adust/variations would work also
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum