TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

been a while

Page: 1 2 Reply
Aug 30th 2004#159243 Report
Only one page, but its fully coded. Any comments on the design, usability, or code? I believe you'll find that my HTML is sexier than SI's swimsuit edition. ;)

http://trhaynes.f2o.org/bw

tom
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2004#159244 Report
You fixed what I told you was wrong, everything else looks perfect. :D Great job on the CSS deal, your my hero. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2004#159249 Report
I don't see what those red banners are doing there... unless they just indicate ad space. They hurt my eyes and ruin the whole design...

without those there, it's great.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159330 Report
wow... got enough ads on there? lol, about the site... I would really make the content as wide as the nav. Make the site flow a little better in my opinion.

Looks good though, kindof bland and simple, but it looks alright.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159336 Report
The coding is nice, but graphically it's pretty bland. There is no focus on the site, other than ads. When I first look at the site I think it must be some sort of personal portfolio or resume' site perhaps. The whole site is way too wordy for this type of site.

"Feel free to skip to the navigation or page-specific content."

No one other than CSS nerds are going to care about any of that, I'd remove it.

I would put some screenshots of videos on that front page, or at least a list of the most popular movies or something other than just text. Maybe an icon of a film reel in the nav to draw attention to it.

The design would be ok for another type of site, but in this case I think it needs to be much more visual.

Another problem (related to the above) is that the first thing I notice is this guy begging for donations. But because of the way the design of the site is, I don't even know what it's about, let alone why I should donate money to him. I'd just pick something to focus on, and build around that rather than trying to impress CSS geeks. (not sure if you're doing this site for a contest or what, but it looks like something that would be submitted to Version 2. )
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159356 Report
First of all, remember that this is just a coded design ... no real content yet. It is a site that archives funny video clips for free download, if it helps to critique it.

It is both wordy and sounds like he's homeless because I wrote that content, and then duplicated it like 50 times just so I could see what content looked like. Its just filler, before I get the real content from the client.

I also plan to make a big button that goes to videos.php in the content, because that is definitely where people will want to go first.

The "navigation or page-specific content" line is an accessibility thing. PDA, mobile phone, small-screen, braille, and aural browser users will appreciate it. And "regular" computer users will read it and dismiss it, which is fine.

What else about the site makes it look like I'm trying to impress CSS geeks?

The film reel next to the "the videos" button is an excellent idea. I might do that. Thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159357 Report
there's all sorts of icons or icon-like graphics you could put in there to liven it up - and make them colorful like cartoons - since it's about funny videos - like a director's chair, one of those plates they click just before they say "Action," a loudspeaker, videocamera...

great inspiration for these would be a shop that has these items - but as toys - for children...
I like the rounded corners CSS thing - but yeah- it's too stark for the funny pages and you can safely bet most of the target audience will be secretaries at work and all sorts of people who play Solitaire - not exactly the kind that appreciates CSS....or know what it is hihi
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159364 Report
I know it's an accessibility thing, but for a site that is mainly about videos, I doubt people will be looking at it on PDA's or braille readers, you know? Accessibility is great and all, but you have to remember what the audience and purpose of the site is as well. You could easily hide that type of text so that only people that are using PDA or other devices would see it, and people using a regular browser won't be bothered by it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159367 Report
I wont comment on the layout or the code, but I would like to see a little more structured prose, without the repetition of so many 'key' words.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 31st 2004#159377 Report
Like I said, the copy is just filler.

And I hardly think anyone is "bothered" by that one sentence.

It should look more cartoony - you're right.

It doesn't matter if the viewer appreciates the fact that I'm conforming to web standards or not, websites should be made correctly (ie. without tables).
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum