TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

changed things for a possible job.....help me

Page: 1 Reply
May 29th 2004#151777 Report
http://shooville.co.uk

changed things around a bit because i have a prospective job oppurtunity, I have applied to two companies for a new graphic design job, in light of this I created some mock up magazine adverts and a re-branding sort of thing for a media & arts centre near me, if you could comment on everything it would help a lot, although I have already submitted my resume i think i still have some time to sort things out on my website so more ideas would be great.

thaaaaaaanks
(i used the hype-dup name as it looks better in my portfolio as having the hype-dup inspiration project as a sideline, so i'm not forgetting it for those of you that are contributing)

xxxxxxxx
xxxx
x
Reply with Quote Reply
May 29th 2004#151841 Report
That's REALLY nice again, i can't get enough of your work.... it's like a pretty leprechaun!!

Anyways, less of the sucking up, I like the colour scheme, Pink is just an awesome colour and it does give that summer feel :D

ABOUT section : Maybe one thing you could change here ; you probabaly shouldn't put that you are o longer attending uni. It may not be the best idea.

PORTFOLIO section : I don't really like that the project box doesn't line up with the right margin of the site (IE 5) I don't know wether it is meant to or not. I can see why you might do it: so that the viewer can see the whole design and that bit about it?
I think if i was you i would move the Custard Factory Logo down the page a bit because it isn't very good IMO (looks quite amateurish) whereas the rest of your stuff is amazing :D

INSPIRATION AND WORDS : nothing really to say here that i haven't already said.... i like the way you set out the inspiration bits..... it's a change from the usual long list of rectanglular boxes xD

Good Job overall

Marc
Reply with Quote Reply
May 29th 2004#151882 Report
well I dont know where you are applying at but are they more traditional based design or are they "new age"? If they are traditional I would get rid of the two hearts and the background.

Do you have physical pieces of all this work? A lot of places like to touch and hold a real piece. Its really difficult to get all the impact of a piece merely on computer screen. I would recommend printing them out and mounting them if not.

Some of the pieces I would have some questions about the programs you have used. Epecially the "custard factory" I dont see why you used photoshop on that. It would have been much more effecient to use illustrator. If I was them I would ask that question. Also noticed that you dont have any quark/indesign work. I dont know many places that wouldnt use one of those two programs everyday. It may be good to some how get something in there, but if you dont have the programs that can be a problem.

Its layed out nicely and I have no problems with it (the pink: except depending on what kinda of firm it is) Just a question about some of the content. Its great work overall, just might not fit in with some firms. good luck though.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 1st 2004#152168 Report
thanks guys,

yeah redeye my problem was that one of the companies is "new age" as you put it and may be looking for someone like me, however the other company seemed to be quite old school and classical in the sense of design, the idea of the printed/mounted portfolio is brilliant and i'll be sure to print them professionally if i go along to an interview.... the custard factory logo was in illustrator i need to change the details heh,

thanks guys i'll keep you posted
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 2nd 2004#152236 Report
Hya!

Hey you changed your layout for the 50 th time now hihi
Where have you been...you haven't showed me your new work!
About the layout...I love the way you put everything up, but you should get those boxes aligned to your "header".

The background...hmm sorry...
I don't really like it.
I just love simple things and you have done a very nice job with that before but the pink bg pretty much hurts my eyes.
Not that it's ugly or anything but it's so bright.

And when it's a portfolio you are trying to show it shuoldn't be like:
ahh bright light, bright light...oh there is that nice image ...ahh bright light, bright light.
Make the bg much more calm I more thumbs up will come from me!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 2nd 2004#152239 Report
I agree with 3jorn. Making the background more soothing would be great

Endat
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2004#152366 Report
Hey emptyspace. Noticed you lived in Telford - I live in Bridgnorth. I like the site - it's very unique though I'm not a fan of the link rollovers - maybe changing the text to white on the rollover but keeping the black background colour?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2004#152371 Report
hey nexus, i'm actually from kemberton, down the road from the masons arms pub, you work as a designer? i need local work! the link rollovers were my first kind of css coding so i've been learning from that onwards, so its getting more complicated.... 3jorn is helping me though. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 3rd 2004#152399 Report
[QUOTE=emptyspace]hey nexus, i'm actually from kemberton, down the road from the masons arms pub, you work as a designer? i need local work! the link rollovers were my first kind of css coding so i've been learning from that onwards, so its getting more complicated.... 3jorn is helping me though. :D[/QUOTE]

It's more websites that I make rather than graphics, I used to do some graphics but I stopped short of Illustrator and now I do the odd site when someone approaches me, or my own personal designs. I was looking through your portfolio - you're only a year older than me but your Illustrator skills and eye for design are really quite advanced! How long have you been learning and practicing your skills?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum