TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Online Portfolio Site in progress...

Page: 1 Reply
May 19th 2004#150869 Report
Hey guys!

I have started construction on a portfolio site to showcase the variety of work that I have done over the years in various fields of media production. The concept is more like a *commercial* for my work, than a "click-on-the-thumbnail, load-a-big-image" type site.

http://www.d4design.net

It's a work in progress, it's all Flash and I know I need to learn the art of the preloader since the file size is going to be rather large, but other than that, I'm open to constructive criticism.

BTW, the navigation will eventually have *glowing* rollovers.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 19th 2004#150876 Report
it looks nice but right now it's more of a demo cdrom than a site. i'm saying that because when you click on a category you just sit there and try to watch a movie of your work flying arround. not the best way to display your portfolio i think. the viewer should have all the time they want to look at a particular artwork and not the few limiting seconds that it's shown for. allong with that, with all those artworks tweening and rotating like that makes them very jaggy and difficult to read.
good luck with the site.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 19th 2004#150877 Report
thanks for the input krane. i am somewhat in agreement with you. i wonder if it would be more effective to piece together a 60 second demo as a quicktime video and have it as a link on the main page *and* have the individual pieces available for viewing in large format from the naviagtion? i guess the question is... do i present the thumbnails and have a javascript pop-up window for the large image? if not, how can i cleanly incorporate the large format files into the current "framework" of the site?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 20th 2004#150913 Report
i wonder if it would be more effective to piece together a 60 second demo as a quicktime video and have it as a link on the main page *and* have the individual pieces available for viewing in large format from the naviagtion?

I think so. Ive always thought of doing this myself....though i always have trouble making the video part. This may also give you more chances to be creative (meaning the video doesnt have to look/work/even relate to the site)

As to "thumbnails".....thats the way you want to go. Dont force LARGE work on ppl who dont want to see it (meaning not every visitor wants to see everything you have done). Also you want to keep load times down....so large work isnt something you want in the site. Load times on the actual work are a diff. story though. If a user "wants" to see an image by clicking a thumb.....then waiting for a 200k jpeg is acceptable (as a general rule..... i try to keep large work (1000+pixels) around 200k....usually about 150 for me)
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum