TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Css based site, a simple one, but still...

Page: 1 2 Reply
Apr 13th 2004#147921 Report
...I've done it ;). I'm quite pleased so far. I'm no pro at this like Deker or Trhaynes, but I'm fairly satisfied. I have to do them rollover buttons the css-way also, but I have some figuring out to do, hehe...please check my first effort in css based site building out...
p-man.tk that's a redirect, the real url is pman.urlq.com...

I should mention that there isn't much content yet. I would like to hear some real constructive critisism first.

And please, guy's...some c&c. Specially from deker and trhanyes, nd anyone else with css knowledge out of the ordinary ;)

Patric.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2004#147922 Report
Your text column width is a little on the wide side. I would suggest breaking the content into around 2 or 3 columns for easier reading.

The fontface for the logotype is horrid.

Spelling should be correct throughout the site even when mis-spelled on purpose (graphix), no big deal really though, so you can discount this if you wish.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 16th 2004#148212 Report
Yes, the content area when displaying text is waaaaay too wide. 10-12 words per line is adviced for fast & easy reading.

"The ideal line length for text layout is based on the the physiology of the human eye... At normal reading distance the arc of the visual field is only a few inches - about the width of a well-designed column of text, or about 12 words per line. Research shows that reading slows and retention rates fall as line length begins to exceed the ideal width, because the reader then needs to use the muscles of the eye and neck to track from the end of one line to the beginning of the next line. If the eye must traverse great distances on the page, the reader is easily lost and must hunt for the beginning of the next line. Quantitative studies show that moderate line lengths significantly increase the legibility of text. "
(source: http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/em/)

So true!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2004#148227 Report
I'm no pro at this like Deker or Trhaynes

you forgot my name :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2004#148232 Report
And mine, but I'm not important [I have less than 500 post ehm...]

Oh, and the link doesn't work :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2004#148233 Report
Pman,

For some reason the link isn't giving in, it doesn't work like Doolittle said. I'd really like to look at your site as I am in the process of learning CSS and XHTML. Let us know when it's up and running again.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2004#148251 Report
Ok, there it is... It looks a little bland and I don't like how the top thing stretches all the way across the screen and the other stuff doesn't. I think, especially with css, things loot a lot neater if they are lined up. --Just my suggestion...
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2004#148270 Report
Ok I see the site now. PMan, first of all I gotta give you a high five for venturing out into xhtml and css, I'm learning it right now. Your site looks good for your first shot at it, but there are some things that you might want to add or clean up before moving on to the content.

I see a box with a 1px border up in the right hand corner, to the top. In your css code it's under #logo and it's in that last line of code there. I'm not sure why it's there, unless of course you're going to fill it with an image of some sort later. If there's something there I don't really see it.

Also in your css under "body" you have text align as "center" but you might want to switch it to left. A little tip I picked up while reading Zeldmans' book "designing with web standards" due to a bug in IE6 which may or may not show up well. Of course, that's if you care about IE at all and the viewers on it. But according to the book it should be aligned left to avoid the bug that throws your text off.

Other than that it looks pretty good. You might also consider changing your bullets with .gif images later to help add some pizzaz to the look of your lists. But good job man, keep it up.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2004#148311 Report
For a learning process, I think this was done very well.
The only thing I don't like is the 20px margins you have, and the large use of grey tones. Once you get used ot it, try mixing some more colours into it.

As for the column issue. If he were to spli that news post up into 2 or three columns, I think that would really take away from this design. I've always used around 500px as my maximum content width. His seems fine. just throw some text-align: justify; to even it out and I think it will look smoother.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2004#148322 Report
A nice way to set widths is to use ems, this way the width scales with the size of the user's text choice. If they choose a larger font size, the whole site grows with the text, rather than the line lengths shrinking and making it harder to read. This will also solve your "lines too long" problem. Just set the width as 40 or 50 ems, and the width will scale to 40 or 50 characters wide.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum