TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

my first site...

Page: 1 Reply
Mar 20th 2004#145848 Report
http://home.comcast.net/~draconis128/index.html

ahem.

this is my first website that i ever completed, so that to me is a good thing.
another good thing is that aside from the tables to align all the thumbnails, the layout is entirely CSS. granted it's very basic and cluttered CSS, but it's a start.
also the laughable comcast as my host... well, we all have to start somewhere.

anyway, i have two things to ask of those here:

first, is what good things did i end up with with this site? and what things should i fix, as this site will more then likely not be updated again.

second, which is more a graphical question, but... the graphical style i used for this place is just... too simple! but i can't decide on a new interface. im too entrenched in the old really techie style, but that's overdone... i dunno.

well, thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 20th 2004#145857 Report
i guess it's not too bad for a first ever site. two main problems; everything is too big and borring with just two colors. my question is, why is it all css? you have a left and right scroll bar indicators that show up where the thumbs are displayed. you could probably fix that with just tables. you have some great pencil artwork on the site though. (if it's really yours) specially the two girls in color. work like that really deserves a nice portfolio site, so i suggest that you keep working on it. as for things like "THE COLORS DUKE! THE COlORS!", i don't think that sets a very professional message. but, it's your site and you get to se whatever theme for the viewer that you want.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 21st 2004#145861 Report
ahhh, well, why it was CSS...

because i wanted it to be? i've read many an article and tutorial about CSS and it's good points, and i figured why not, less work than a table based layout.

the whole joke things in each section was a sort of easter egg, a very obvious one, but it was too me. this particular site is essentially dead, for only being up 5 days.
i want to use what i learned from it to make a better one.

the art is mine, and im very proud of it.

hrm.... well, thanks, still have no idea for a GUI, but it's a start.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 21st 2004#145877 Report
yeah, these kind of things:

This is the anteway into the gallery, a portal into my mind if you will... ahem, if you don't get it, you click on the nice gear buttons on your left and they will take you to their aptly named subsections, where thumbnails await your easy browsing. go, now, look, and be amazed. (or disgusted...)

Kind of silly if you ask me.

Anyway, i agree, the 2 colors tdo get monotonouse... the links are very obtrusive since they are very big and each have their own huge gear logo, whcih is unnecessary if you ask me.

As for your art, I think half of it is Brilliiant and half of it is so so. Otherwise you obviously have a lot of talent. keep going with it, you're really good! and put some colors into those designs.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 21st 2004#145881 Report
ah, immature yes, so be it. it's a byproduct of my own twisted sense of humor. they won't be there when i remake the site.

i was never happy with the interface, i only had 2 days to hand code this site, so i ripped out that gear from a tattoo i designed and it snowballed from there. the new one will be cooler with brushed metal and stuff, if i ever figure out how to pull it off. i can't decide now to make my site look good and keep the coding simple.

as for my art, im glad you like at least some of it. though that wasn't why i posted it here, thanks though. i did it ALL with my trusty intous.

so, thanks.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum