TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

New Portfolio Site

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138234 Report
Here is my portfolio site. I still have to get my resume and writing section complete. Let me know what you all think.

Kurt

http://www.portfolio.umaine.edu/~kurtm/portfolio/html/index.htm
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138242 Report
I like it a lot... Pretty simple and yet attractive. Perfect for a portfolio site.
The only thing I would change is probably the font of the navigation, it looks a bit jaggy and is hard to read. Good job.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138244 Report
the navigation looks a bit odd being spread out like that and it's a bit difficult to read those tiny bold fonts. i think you should also come up with a way to display all your works at the same time instead of having to click next. then i don't really like the way the site just hangs there withough any support and maybe you could extend the graphic on the left to create some meaning or theme to your site. right now it's just there as a filler. also, i don't think that some of those photos are really good enough to even be in a portfolio, but i'm no professional photographer. your digital art section has some nice works but some are very low quality. i think the site overall has a good start but need allot more concept and development.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138245 Report
To be honest....... i dont like the navigation.

1) The font needs to be changed (read NL's post)
2) There is too much spacing, the negative space doesnt help/add anything.
3) With the nav being almost center, thats where my eyes are drawn first....basically limiting my ability to "take in" your entire site/layout.

Instead, I think the nav would work well where you have the word "online portfolio". Reason being 1) you dont need the phrase "online portfolio"...and may be better off without it and 2) a horizontal nav in the upper part of the layout is more familiar to users than your current nav. Also the links would sit perfectly on that line.

This would also free up breathing room for the content, and allow the pic on the left to play a more noticable role.

The font/placement of your name (upper left) i dont like either. It doesnt annouce itself... it doesnt say "Hi. this is my name" or " This is my site. This is who I am". I just kinda glance over it without a 2nd thought even though its quite an important piece of information.

You might try putting it on the bottom left nice and big.....bold even.

This would also offset the navigation if you moved it....creating a visual flow from upper left....curved down towards the name, up across the content (about me) and then up to the navigation and back again to the top left.

Of course i dont expect big changes or anything. Just some tips/brainfood.

Other than that though, its pretty good. Simple, stylish and functional. Perfect for a portfolio!!!!

edit - tip conerning the photo's.

I think if you prepare the tracey photos...like you would with a magazine...it would really drive the photo section home! Things like...smoothing out the skin, removing imperfections, boosting the color of the eyes/lips, blurring the background a bit. Search the net....there should be some tutorials. Also if its any interest.....the magazine "photoshop user" had 2 consecutive issues talkin bout just this (may 2003...maybe....)

An example from me Click Here
Its not quite a female model lol.....but the idea is there. Prepared image on top, orig image on bottom.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138273 Report
Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies, I have gotten similar feedback from other viewers as well. Looks like I have some more work to do :-( ah well its something to get my work out there. I put the photography section in there because I liked those shots, understandably they are not magazine quality. O well here is something I made last night for fun www.umit.maine.edu/~Kurt_Milligan/table.jpg
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138281 Report
Jaggy cards! :-o

Portfolio looks pretty good except for what is stated above, the spacing of the nav and font.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum