TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

my promotion site

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112892 Report
I just set this site up today...I got pretty bored. =P

http://www.bold0ne.com/chris/exide/main.php

I only finished the layout of the first page today, and hopefully i'll finish the rest sometime soon. So uh...giving some suggestions or comments would be great. ^^

Oh and i wanted some opinions on the music and the mouseover beep. I worked on it last night and i liked it but...that's just me =P
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112893 Report
i like it nice colours and design;
i do however tink that the music is annoying,
the mouse overs are fine thou
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112896 Report
Site's cool. The music though, did you do it yerself? Acid Pro, or some similar compisition program? Cuz personally, the beat, I think needs to be a lil more consistent, as in it should have more or less the same number of beats within a measure. The really choppy ones sound too last minute, too afterthough-ish. Also, the beat should be a little more subdued, more bass-y, and a little quieter. But all in all, nicely done.

Also, one of those dumb little things, that some people say helps; Avoid the first person tense. It makes the whole site sound too personal, like you only want your friends to see it, not potential clients. So, when you say exide designs, along the left hand side, which looks and sounds very professional, but then say stuff like, I and mine on the page, it just sounds too personal. Clients don't like personal. They want to think they're dealing with some really cool, really professional design firm, and we all know that that's rarely the case. I mean, sites like 2 advanced were probably put together by like 1 or 2 guys. You might wanna stick with stuff like 'this page is still under development. Check back for further updates.'

That makes it sound like there's a whole crew of designers, working round the clock to get the site online. Clients like to think that the same attention will be given to there site, even though they may only operate a local dry cleaners, or something.

It could just be that it's 3:10 in the morning, and I've just read way too much into the whole thing, or maybe I've made some sense.

Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112899 Report
...i understand completely :confused: heh

I know what you mean though. I did rush out the that text part but I do notice how it seems like it's unprofessional. The music is kind of annoying i guess, considering i didn't spend any time at all to listen to it enough. The snare is too loud and the background ambience was what i was planning on going for, not the drums. Good thing i put a "stop music" button on the flash. ^^
The program that i use is Fruity Loops, lol. A lot of people seem to not like it though. Since I know it pretty good now though, it gets the job done.

Well at least the mouseover sound was good. I think i can retire from web design now.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112903 Report
I think it looks great. Man, I wish I knew how to create images like that main bg image...damn that is sweet.

I actually like the beat. Kinda funky. Don't think it belongs on your site, but all the same its pretty cool.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112907 Report
Woah...what's http://www.bold0ne.com/? I have never seen anything like that before. Not the thing itself, just all the fields. Man...weird. Are you hosting your site off of yer company's server er something?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112908 Report
Woah...ok, another idea, fer music, I haven't done this before, putting music in a site, but I imagine it's something like splashing a background pattern in any webpage construction program, like, the same snippet of music gets looped, and repeated, to cut down on size? Well, anyway what if you just had a heartbeat? I dunno if it goes with your sites overall motif, or if it's too 2advanced-esque, but I think it'd be cool, anyway. And if not a heartbeatm then just a repeating beat

Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump-thump

Just an idea. whatever.

Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112948 Report
your site is very nice, very clean, nice bg pic, the wires are a little out of place and i think don't look so great, maybe take them out or make them look less noticeable or something. Oh, and take out the "All content created by exide design" at the left side. It's unnecessary; this is your webdesign company and you should really not need to tell other people that you made your site. Lol, it would be a bit embarrassing if you didn't!

A small copyright will suffice, and any credit for anyone else who did work for your site should be satisfied if their credit is not glaring back at them.

Great avatar too. :D

as in it should have more or less the same number of beats within a measure.

no, not necessarily. It's called tempo changes. There are songs that will have be in 4/4 time, then for a measure, it will switch to 3/4 time, and then next measure back to 4/4.

When done properly this can have a very cool effect. I have a song that alternates each measure between 5/8 and 6/8, it's very very cool.

Considering exide's music, No. the beats are not a problem. You're only concerned about which beat the stress is being put on, which really is up to exide. The rhythm sounds fine. I mean, it was made on a computer prog, there's no way it can be out of time... o_o

but on the issue of music, i have to say something that I say very often but still it needs to be said.

if you want music on your site, keep your music off when the site loads, and give the viewer an option to toggle the music on.

OR

if you have music, keep it soft and minimalistic.

Reasons why.

1. A crapload of people surfing the web do so from the space of their own cubicle and work, or at school. If annoying music starts blaring out of their computer, they will, guaranteed, shut your site down. They know that their job (or in the case of school, not having detention lol) are more important than looking at your site and frankly they won't even consider looking for a "music off" button.

2. A lot of people, myself included, surf the web with their winamp on or a CD playing. (Sometimes i feel my life is empty if I'm living it without a soundtrack lol). And when you hear techno music or really any kind of music on the site start to clash with the winamp or CD music, the sound of confusion that it makes just kind of makes you want to stick pins into your eardrums so as to not have to suffer the pain.

3. It's just annoying! I know i found it annoying. Even if I had winamp off, i would have shut the music on your site off. I mean, consider, for a moment, http://neostream.com . Undoubtedly an amazing flash site and amazing 3d work. But the background music drives me out of my mind, and even worse, there's no off button!!! This is a glaring design mistake that they should take care of, it really detracts from the beauty of the site.

Trust me, it's a lot better to have your music off. People will not get annoyed if they have to click a button to turn the music on, but they will get annoyed if they have to frantically turn your music off.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum