TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Organic enough?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jul 5th 2001#7571 Report
I recall a discussion about organic things being difficult to create in PS. Well I just kinda' accidentally stumbled trying to make a background for a print brochure. I hit the wrong key combination, and applied the last filter I had used, and "Smack".....

http://mattboyslim.homestead.com/files/GreenStalk.jpg

Tell me if you think that looks organic enough. I cleaned up the image a bit to make it look more 3D-ish. I didn't take a lot of time to clean it up, but you get the general idea.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 5th 2001#7574 Report
Say that looks pretty organic to me. Mind sharing what you did?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 5th 2001#7581 Report
Look like lighting effects with a texture channel
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 5th 2001#7584 Report
I'll tell you what the technique is if I get some good comments on how it looks. Otherwise I'm not even going to say.

And no Mark, that would have been purposeful. This was accidental.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 5th 2001#7588 Report
Wow! Looks really real! A little on the blurry side but very cool looking. Looks like a hair or a tiny blade of grass or something. D00d...MAKE A TUTORIAL...PLEASE??
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 6th 2001#7607 Report
Looks very organic to me. I really like the look. It's blurry, but you could correct that fairly easily. Organic stuff is really difficult, and I would like to see a tutorial on how you did it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 6th 2001#7612 Report
Yeah, I had to blur it up otherwise it looked too fake.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 6th 2001#7648 Report
Sweet Matt.

I'm pretty sure you could sharpen a just channel (green?) and get a sharper overall image, but it looks nice like that...its kinda hypnotic if you look at it for a while.
Organics are hard to fake because: there aren't any "solid" areas of color... they are textured everywhere... and we ALL things like grass, trees, bark and leaves for granted and dont pay a whole lot of attention to them.
So I'd say you did a great job making it, and a better job noticing "Hey, that looks like..."

...but now can you apply it to anything?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 6th 2001#7652 Report
Anyone can do this!

Here we go, a few simple steps:

0) Make a new layer above the BG

1) Make a new linear gradient from white to green to black

2) Drag your gradient to desired width (may take some playing)

3) Use the polygonal lasso tool to select the area where all 3 colors merge

4) Select-->Inverse

5) Delete

5.5) Select-->DeSelect

6) Filter-->Distort-->Glass (play with it a little

7) Again, use the polygonal lasso tool to remove the clutter on the outside of the shaft (heehee)

8) Use whatever tool you feel most comfortable with to add depth (Lighting effects, 3d transform (still working with this to make it look better), or, what I used, Layer Effects-->Bevel And Emboss (Soften 100%)

9) Please post back what effect you got, I want to see how others can improve upon it to make it cleaner. I'm working on it too.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 6th 2001#7653 Report
Grrrrrrr.......I left the .psd file at work. Now I can't get the same effect. My new one is a lot smoother. The shaft is not so.....how do I say?.....rough.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum