TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

AMD Athlon Reboot Problems...

Page: 1 Reply
Aug 6th 2002#63368 Report
Yeah, ive been having this problem as soon as i got my computer.. i built it myself... ordered all of the peices and put it together... everything works great, but when i go to reboot.... it doesnt reboot... everything shuts down like its suppost to but then the system doesnt reboot...

It sounds like its about to reboot... lights flash on the tower but the monitor just sits there in sleep mode and nothing comes back up.. a friend of mine told me that it has something to do with bios and that you can change them in there etc.. but i have figured it out.. i was going to email AMD with my problem but i thought that if someone in here could help me then i wouldnt have to do that...

Here is some information about my system if it helps any....

System information:
Mother board - 7DXR Gigabyte
Processor - AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird

A friend of mine is having the same problem and he doesnt have the same mother board as me so i think it has something to do with the processor...

If any other information is required to better understand the problem just say so and ill see what i can do...
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 6th 2002#63388 Report
are you sure youre selecting reboot and not shut down in windows? or are you using the button on the case to reboot it?

this problem most likely has nothing to do with the CPU and most likely everything to do with either the OS or the motherboard. even though your friend has a different motherboard, it could still be a problem with both motherboards. i would look on Gigabyte's site for downloads, updates, or any information you can find and still if you can't find anything, call them and if it STILL happens, then, well, i'm clueless, lol.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 6th 2002#63391 Report
could be that your power supply is not powerful enough... if there isnt enough juice and you try to start up a **** load of drives (which you might have?) it will try but cant power them and the hds cant run, but then if you reboot after it does its fake boot up the hds will still be spinning and you can boot em up with less juice, kinda like push starting a car. i dont know how much watts your power supply is and how much drives you have but that may help.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 6th 2002#63396 Report
well im sure that i have enought of a power supply, and im sure that i am clicking restart... but to reboot the machine i have to go to reboot from the shutdown menu.. and then i have to use the reset button inorder for it to restart..

At first i thought it was my os but i have run all kinds of different os's on my machine... I have Windows 98, WIndows 98 SE, and i just recently bought Windows 2000 Professional... so Im pretty sure its nothing to do with the os...

i have been told it has something to do with changing something in the BIOS but i looked in there and there was nothing that i thought would help the situation.. and i didnt was to start messing with stuff that i dont know to much about...

So im still at a lost here...

thanks for the replies... and i hope that someone can help me....
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 6th 2002#63401 Report
That does sound like a bios issue. What you might need to do is download a current version of the bios (save the old one) and do what they call a 'flash' of the bios and upgrade it or re install it.

here is a little tutorial on what to do. Dont mess up. hehe.

http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/biosflashingfaq.htm
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2002#63443 Report

**Follow the directions to a 'T'**

Screw up = much down time. In the old days it meant you made a boat anchor, nowadays, you can usually send the CMOS chip in and they'll send you a new one for $12 or so.

I almost always flash the BIOS on a new system when I build one. Also make sure you have the right drivers loaded for the mobo (after you installed windows). Did you just move your old hdrive to the new system? If so it might still have the old mobo drivers on it. If it's a VIA chipset (sorry, I didn't look your board up to check), dload the latest drivers from VIA.... not Giga.

Latest BIOS and mobo drivers will usually make a more stable system--but not always. Wrong mobo drivers will always make an unstable system. :(
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2002#63481 Report
hm... so what you guys are telling me is if i do this right it might fix the problem... but it i dont im F*cked.. lol.. its not that big of a problem now i just have to press the reset button every time i try to reboot.. which i dont think is harming the comp any, but i might be wrong... and if i am tell me... i think ill just keep doing things the way that i am now so i dont mess it up more...
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2002#63486 Report
Not sure if that is bad. Well to make you feel better, my pc doesnt shut off! I have to hit that switch in the back. It just shuts down to a cursor. happened after I installed a Raid. But just scared I'm going to F*** up my pc if I re isntall the bios and I have to wait until I get some time to back up everything. hehe.
(sigh) I love computers. They make life so easy (bah!)
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2002#63513 Report
LMAO... dont they make things alot easier... lol... yeah i think im going to reformat my comp here soon... then maybe ill just install the new bios then... well hope that you get your problem fixed...
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 7th 2002#63518 Report
You too!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum