TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Linux Or windows ?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59009 Report
your thoughts please... im thinking of getting linux ... i like the penguin he is the inspiration for one of my animations ! Would i stil lbe able to use flash and program and stuff. :confused:
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59013 Report
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59014 Report
eh...linux isn't like windows...and if you can't imagine anything now like windows, i'd say stick with windows.
what distribution were u thinking of getting?

[edit]
hehe...just remember about this:
http://www.lindows.com/
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59016 Report
Linux is basically color dos. Hella typing.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59019 Report
Well wats the os with the penguin ? *pulls out hair* AAAAAAAARG going crazy , too much to learn ... aaaaarg
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 15th 2002#59023 Report
linux has the penguin. But no windows programs are compatible with linux. no photoshop, no dreamweaver, no flash, no internet explorer, no ms office, nothing. You can run a thing called WINE, that will emulate windows, but it is slow, and sometimes buggy and unstable. Your best bet is to stick with windows unless you are interested in networking or heavy duty techy programming crap. I mean some parts of linux are point and click like windows, but it is still nowhere near the ease of use of windows in my opinion.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59033 Report
As Deker said, you should stick with Windows unless your real Geeky. Linux is not for the faint of heart. In fact, probably all those that use Linux use Windows or Mac OS too.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59072 Report
You might make some checks about what linux has to offer instead of bashing it, eh?
screenshots (enough eyecandy? seems better than windows to me.)

http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/screenshots/82scr03.jpg
notice how it's running windows in it?

http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/screenshots/82scr05.jpg

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/1152x864/kde300-snapshot1-1152x864.jpg

Yes there are many hurdles to overcome with learning linux, but the support is much better than windows, fewer bugs (they at least get fixed instead of patched), it's completely free unless you want tech support, you'll understand more about a computer, but....
I will admit that as far as grafix goes, linux is not strong, but there is talk that Adobe is going to make linux versions.

Pixar is moving to Linux workstations because they are more stable blah blah.
hmmm maybe that is why osX is based around a linux kernel instead of an nt one?

There is a lot to be said about linux.

But yes there is a bit of a hurdle to leap over at first, but once you get used to it it's not so bad =)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59076 Report
i c
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 16th 2002#59087 Report
AHHHH
The horrible look of KDE!! I must now gouge my eyes out with a butter knife!

here's some stuff you should know about linux.

1- It is possible to run windows software in an emulated environment. Whether it be through the use of WINE or VMware or some other windows emulation software.

2- Do you really have a use for linux? If you are not running a server or developing software/web applications, you probably don't. This doesn't mean that it isn't a great desktop environment, but some 'newbies' find linux to have too steep a learning curve to bother with. In the end, they usually end up deleting the partition linux is housed on and going back to windows.

These folks tend to end up as Linux bashers because they couldn't or wouldn't learn anything. It takes time to get used to using a command line to perform some functions you are so accustomed to using by pointing and clicking. But linux is getting better. People are developing stable, reliable software that allows even the slowest of learners to install, secure and run a nice box quickly.

3- Linux will run on most any hardware. While Mandrake is built around the i386 and higher platforms, they do offer other versions that will run on slower systems. My first linux box ran Mandrake 6. Unfortunatly, I was quickly unsatisfied with mandrakes 'holes' in security. It was a real pain in the ass to lock the box down when I was a newbie. So I got slackware 6. Currently, I run debian potato on all my boxes. My game server hosting company is a hybrid of debian and redhat boxes.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum