TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Callin' all PC gurus

Page: 1 2 3 Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42523 Report

I upgraded the processor in a system from a 600Mhz Duron (oc'd to 850Mhz), to a Tbird 1.4Ghz.

System config:

ASUS A7V mobo
W2K SP2
756MB PC133 RAM
40Gig Hdrive
Geforce3 ti-200 AGP
etc...

Problem:

When I first booted, it was in jumper mode for clockspeed and I switched to jumperless (clockspeed set in bios). Wouldn't post... nada, zilch. Fiddled around back and forth, flippin' dipswitches, movin' jumpers.... finally it posted--@ 1.33Ghz. Oh, well, into BIOS I go, looks okay, but no option for 1.4Ghz. Let's see if it'll boot. Halfway thru the second splash screen--blue screen-o-death. "Your BIOS is not 100% ACPI compliant... blah... blah... blah".

That's okay, I gotta update the bios anyway. Finally finish updating the BIOS--it posts 1.4Ghz :D I'm on my way--fiddle in BIOS (Reset to default--change boot sequence--bam). Try to boot to Windows, it hangs in the same place every time--ACPI BIOS b.s.

I've tried all I can think of. Is it something obvious to someone? I even tried booting to the W2K CD, get a wierd error "unexpected" something--no go.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42525 Report
I think you need a new motherboard. Or perhaps you should do three sit ups, boil a lizard's tail, silicone, battery acid, and precisely 1 3/4 inch long piece of hair from your first born child in a large pig's head. Pour that concoction over a copy "Good Housekeeping" magazine. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Trek to Redmond, Washington, and offer it as a sacrifice to BIOS, the god of the master boot sequence.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42526 Report
You know, I have the power to just delete all your posts....
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42527 Report
motherboard make and model number?

Did you use a utility produced by your BIOS manufacturer to upgrade the bios or did you just update it. Updating the BIOS when you don't need to won't necessarily fix any problems. Never flash bios unless you are absolutly positive you need to. If the people you bought it from told you to, then by all means, go for it. It's under warranty and flashing it on their advice makes them liable.

Is this a new motherboard that you bought for that CPU? or is it the one the duron was running on before you bought the 1.4?

1 thing you can try is this. First, pull the CMOS battery and leave it out for 30 seconds. put the batter back in and unplug everything except your cpu and ram. No video, no sound, etc. Course if your sounds is onboard, you wont be able to do anything about it.

Power on the system. Depending on your bios manu., you will hear a series of beeps. Basically, it didnt detect any video devices. Turn the system off, put in the video card and plug up the monitor.

Keep powering on the system and placing 1 peice of hardware in at a time. It's always possible something is causing a conflict.

Of course, if the system never posts no matter what you do, perhaps it's time to spend a couple extra bucks and have the place you got it from replace it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42528 Report
I have the power to delete all of your posts too, ****er.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42578 Report
Dek: the topic calls for PC gurus--this implies a certain, high level of expertise in an area you know nothing about. Now go away.

Ax: all the equipment was existing and operational--only thing new is the CPU. ASUS A7V... v1.04 I think. I had to upgrade the BIOS in order for the mobo to recognize the higher speed CPU. Yes, I used the ASUS utility to flash--but the problem showed up before I flashed, and didn't fix with flashing. I'll try the battery reset thingy--any dangers involved? Will I have to reflash BIOS after resetting?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42601 Report
I know some about PCs... I have good deductive reasoning anyway. I still think you need a new motherboard.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2002#42612 Report
Did you go in Power Management and disable ACPI (if it's enabled) ?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2002#42648 Report
I disabled it in BIOS (if that's what you mean). I can't boot to windows if there's a setting there you're talking about. If it's not one of those two, I don't know what you're talking about.

I can't even boot up with the W2K CD.... gets to a certain point and gives a weird file not found kinda thingy.

I still haven't tried Ax's CMOS reset thingy... (I'm still at work).
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2002#42650 Report
The BIOS is what I meant. Maybe an IRQ conflict. I've seen several instances of conflicts in W2K. Try going in (cant remember right off the top of my head) and switch PnP OS to off or No (if it's not already turned off), that way the BIOS will determine the IRQ, and not the OS.

If you have another comp at home, I have some other ideas. It's harder when the comp is not in front of me, so I can see what's what.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum