TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

I.e 5.5

Page: 1 Reply
May 1st 2001#2627 Report
I know on Netscape, it is possible to create users. That way, when you share a computer with three other people, your bookmarks aren't mixed in with theirs.

Can you create different users with I.E 5.5? If so, how?
Reply with Quote Reply
May 1st 2001#2641 Report
The only way I can think of doing this is creating a seperate user profile for each person under windows and have each user be required to log in under thier own account.

If you are using Window 2000 or NT, this shouldnt be too hard to do. But, with Win95/98/Me, They are not built for that type of operation and loggin in is just as easy as pressing cancel.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2001#3426 Report
But, with Win95/98/Me, They are not built for that type of operation and logging in is just as easy as pressing cancel.

Huh?

Although pressing Cancel will load the default profile. It still loads a profile. And logging in will load a users settings and I believe this was the question.
These OS's are much easier to setup profiles than say,
DOS or 3.11 where we wrote it into the autoexec and config.sys files and later wrote C programs to load different users. And as far as I am concerned are just as easy as 2000 and NT although you are right if you are referring to the security. With the OS's you mentioned logging in is not a security feature and was never meant to be. It was for different users to be able to load there own settings.

It does this by storing individual users settings in HK_USERS then loading the logged on users setting into HK_CURRENT_USER in the registry. One of those settings is a path to the logged on users directory where favorites, my documents and other things are stored.

My partner and I have run an ISP for about 2 years now and as such have configured probably hundreds of computers to work with multiple users. Some things don't work very well like the dialer so I wrote one for our customers, but as far as Favorites, history and such it works great. I have spent a lot of hours making users switch from AOL as painless as possible and have found these OS's to be very friendly once understood although not very intuitive.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2001#3440 Report
maybe you didnt understand.

With Win95/98/ME, you can't seperate user information like you want with out using profiles. NT/Win2k are built to be multi-user OS's. Win95/98/ME were not built this way because they were built for home use.

If you want to seperate information for users in Win95/98, you will have to set up profiles and force people to log in(via the editing the registry). Otherwise, I can press cancel and view your data and theres nothing you can do about it. Hence the reason i said :

"The only way I can think of doing this is creating a seperate user profile for each person under windows and have each user be required to log in under thier own account. "

"Although pressing Cancel will load the default profile. It still loads a profile."

No. Windows 95/98 and ME were made specifically to be single user operating systems. They were not made to have 2 or more seperate users using the machine, each having thier own personal settings. Hence if i press cancel at the 'login' screen, and then change the wall paper on the desktop, when you login with your username and password by pressing 'Ok', you will have the wallpaper I just set up. Now, if you have configured and set up profiles on this machine (not done by default) if i press cancel and change the wallpaper, your desktop settings will not have changed. <---this was the point of my post.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 13th 2001#3491 Report
Oblivious, although your knowledge of computers is beyond the normal your telling me I'm wrong when I do this on a daily basis. Time to learn something new instead of going on your current knowledge. Your points are correct but have nothing to do with each other. Profiles are profiles and have to be set up no matter what OS you are using. NT and 2000 are more secure meaning you cannot log on without a proper password but security and profiles are not the same. Windows has been set up for multi users since 95 and was even possible in 3.x with a little scripting. They were not written with a single user in mind and in fact just the opposite. One of my first major software contracts was to write a program that set up new 95 computers on an NT4 network for an educational institution. 95 can and is setup for mulitple users. Although not even close to a secure workstation they were written so members of the same family could have their own individual settings. Although you can set up profiles by editing the registry this is not necessary or even recommended. All you have to do is create a new user and log on as that user and set the settings you want. Let me reiterate, I have not set up one or two computers for testing or any other purpose. I am co-owner of an ISP and have set up hundreds of computers. I've been programming since before Windows and have grown and programmed every version that has come along. But then you already know all of this. Well if anyone else is interested give it a try and if you have any problems feel free to email me or post and I would be very happy to help you achieve the 'impossible' Migrating clients from AOL to IE or Netscape is major portion of our customer service. If you are interested I can step you through the process, but first I guess you would have to admit there is a process that exists.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 13th 2001#3496 Report
hrrm. my post disappeared. oh well. It's nice that you are co-owner of an ISP and all.

I am a network technician at Trident Technical College(www.tridenttech.org). I am also Network+, A+ certified and an LCP if that counts for anything.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 13th 2001#3514 Report
Oblivious....

Go to your Control Panel-->Users

You can go through and set up multiple users so each user has their own Start Menu, My Documents, Favorites, etc.

Try it.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 14th 2001#3572 Report
matboy. I know exactly how to do it. The discussion was about the reason WHY you would need to do it to seperate users.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum