TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

CPU Choice ?

Page: 1 Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20380 Report
After Xmas I'm going to build myself a second PC system. I've always been with Intell. But I have to admit ... the Intel P4's are slow in comparison with the new Athlon Xp's. I'll use my new pc for photoshop & games mainly, with occasionally some programming.

What should you buy ? I don't want to start a flame thread. Both cpu's have their advantages & disadvantages. Are here people with AMD systems who had lots of trouble ? Are there people who can say ... hey my AMD based system runs as stable as any other Intel system.

This would be the system I gonna buy:

- Abit KG7 AMD761
- AMD Athlon xp 1900+
- Geforce 3 Ti500 (elsa or hercules)
- Creative Audigy Player

Tnx very much in advance 4 replying !
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 13th 2001#20402 Report
I've got an Athlon 900 on a Gigabyte mobo, with 256 mb ram that I built back at the beginning of the year. I've had no problems with it, and it's done anything I've wanted it to do.

My entire system:
http://visualintensity.com/system/

Just added the monitor and vid card a couple of months ago.

I don't know much about the new Athlon XP processors, but I've heard some good things about them. This topic will usually always fall to user preference, but I'll just say that I haven't regretted going with AMD.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 13th 2001#20406 Report
the p4's have something pretty cool.

basically, if your cooling is ample enough to keep the cpu in a safe operating temperature, the cpu will throttle itself back to keep it from frying itself. But as always, cooling is very important...if you get a p4, don't skimp on the cooling. consider getting rounded ide cables so you can improve airflow. and have fans at the front and back of the case.

the xp processors are pretty sweet too. a bit better in terms of heat, but they can still cook an egg. the most important thing to the new line of AMD cpu's though has more to do with power input. a good heavy duty powersupply is a must. at least 350 watts, 400+ would be better. and make sure you get one that provides clean power. AMD's hate dirty electricity.

for cooling consider golden orb for either cpu. they are proven to keep cpu's cool even when overclocked.

my current system stats -

dual p3 733's on an asus via Pro266
512mb DDR2100
geforce 3
sound blaster 16PCI

I also have the same case and powersupply mbb has :p but I only use headphones so no speakers, hence the crappy sound card.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 17th 2001#20854 Report
I have heard the New AMD Xp is really testing out to be a better chip than Intel Pent. 4. We will wait to see if it is better than intel pent 4.
I think that AMD chips are just as good intel chips and are cheaper also.

I am not knocking Intel though but then they have had some problems with there chipset's in the past.

Heres my 2 cents worth!:D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum