TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

what the heck is Active desktop!

Page: 1 Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20352 Report
What the heck is active desktop? I've had windows 98se for quite a while now and active desktop has always been there and I just left it be. But I can't run transtext with active desktop on and I can't use the wallpapers I want with it off. why? the wallpapers are just jpg's or bmp sometimes. Is there any way I can make them not require active desktop? not all of them need it.

*sigh* Windows....
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20355 Report
I you use only bmp images, I think you can turn off active desktop. When you use JPGs or GIFs, it treats the desktop like a web page so that it can view it. So try using a .bmp image and then turn off active desktop.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20356 Report
if u have a permanent internet connection, useful if you want internet to be on your desktop all the time...
but its SUCKS!!... resource hog
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20368 Report
alright that worked. just as long as i switch em to bmp.

so whats active desktop for? does it have a purpose? can you do stuff with it?

thnx for the replies, I appreciate it. Even microsoft's site wouldn't tell me anything about it and it can't be that cool cuz theres nothin bout it online either....
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20369 Report
Like the post above said, basically it's like a permanent web page on your desktop. So you could have news flashes on it, stock tickers, etc. I used to make web pages that linked to programs and my disk drives, and then use that instead of icons. 'cause it looks cooler.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 12th 2001#20370 Report
err
active desktop only allows you to have your webpage on your desktop, it is not actually the presence of said homepage on your desktop.

Active desktop is the means of allowing the OS of putting web content on the desktop.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 14th 2001#20473 Report
ahhh...wow, thanx guys. Deker your very helpful, always answering my posts, I really appreciate it, thnx man.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum