TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Which OS better for design?

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 6th 2001#1050 Report
Which OS is better for design?
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 6th 2001#1051 Report
If we are talking about interface, then I prefer the Windows 2000 (especially the Windows XP) interface. But the new Mac OS X interface is pretty cool also!

But if we are talking about performance then I don't know.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1165 Report
Having worked on macintosh since 1987, I have to say Mac is better for full blown design (IMO).
However the windows OS has made HUGE strides to catch up over the past 5 years, and to be honest they both have thier good and bad points.

But hey....I use both
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1167 Report
Linux - im am surprised someone included this in a design question. You usually don't see people using this to design anything except for software design.

Mac's I would say are best for graphical design.

Text - Text is text. It all depends if you wanna use a wysiwyg or not.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1169 Report
I have never worked on a Mac before but I will soon do that because I'm going to attend an art academy... Mac is cool I think!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1182 Report
I will agree that the windows platform has made some significant strides in its ability to handle graphic design chores efficiently but there are still issues with it that make it cumbersome in the real world, where a file travels across many different machines and is subject to the specific idiosyncracies of different software applications, namely:

•Color management is still pretty much of a crap shoot in a windows-based workflow. ColorSync on the Mac is years ahead of anything windows has to offer.

•Font issues with files that originate on a windows system have cropped up on so many jobs I've done in the past that I've learned to bury extra charges into a quote that will compensate me for having to deal with them. I know that many commercial service bureaus do this as well, so I'm not alone in the practice of hidden up-charges.

People who work on windows systems exclusively have developed workarounds for these problems, but the fact reamains, and has been borne out time and time again in real-world studies, that graphic production on the Mac platform is tremendously more cost-effective than it is on a windows system.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2001#1208 Report
)applause

Well said....
and No you are not alone in the up-charging PC users when you accept files from them. Its common practice for us too.

I've said it for years.... "PC documents just dont travel well"
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 9th 2001#1242 Report
If i had my sayso, I would just use gimp and linux. Gimp comes pretty close to photoshop, but lacks in a lot of areas as well.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 3rd 2001#2834 Report
Do adobe, metacreations and other software companies make their products for *nix too? nop. We're stuck with windows for the mean time. *sigh*
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum