TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

PS CS on a Powerbook G4?

Page: 1 Reply
Sep 24th 2004#160573 Report
I have always used PS on a PC platform. My useage is primarily my digital photography. Shooting in RAW..and correcting in PS and a few other programs after that.

I currently use a 1 gig on my P4 and it works quite well, but I've also got a fairly good Matrox video card as well.

Will PS CS work well on a Powerbook G4 with 512 Mg Ram? Should I upgrade to the 128 mg of video Ram - even if I'm not doing heavy graphic work?

Another question..(this will be my first expierience with the "Apple logo" so please bear with me..can I use Virtual PC to use my existing PS CS XP version on the Powerbook G4? I'm thinking it might need more RAM for sure.

I'm considering the powerbook 17" for the quality of the screeen and clarity it offers. I haven't seen much in PC notebooks that compare.

Thanks for your responses in advance..appreciate it!

MarkII
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 24th 2004#160575 Report
not sure how you'd define "work" but i love working on PS on my iBook, and the powerbook is faster with a better video card. more RAM is always better, 512 is tolerable but it'll work, upgrading is cheap and very worth it tho.

could you use virtual pc? yeah, but don't, it'll drag badly. call adobe and see what they'll charge you to transfer your license to a mac one.

a buddy of mine has a 17" pb. i haven't seen anything that compares, the thing is gorgeous

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 24th 2004#160591 Report
I would max out the ram to 2gb or whatever it currently is on the 17" Powerbook, depending on how heavily you use Photoshop, and how much you depend on it for your job or your living or whatever. 512 is good if you are just using PS, but when you start switching between Photoshop, imageready, illustrator, dreamweaver, indesign, what have you, it will start to bog down. Macs love RAM, the more ram you have the faster your computer will feel. I'd save the money from upgrading the video card and just get more ram instead.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 25th 2004#160613 Report
[QUOTE=MarkII]I have always used PS on a PC platform. My useage is primarily my digital photography. Shooting in RAW..and correcting in PS and a few other programs after that.

I currently use a 1 gig on my P4 and it works quite well, but I've also got a fairly good Matrox video card as well.

Will PS CS work well on a Powerbook G4 with 512 Mg Ram? Should I upgrade to the 128 mg of video Ram - even if I'm not doing heavy graphic work?

Another question..(this will be my first expierience with the "Apple logo" so please bear with me..can I use Virtual PC to use my existing PS CS XP version on the Powerbook G4? I'm thinking it might need more RAM for sure.

I'm considering the powerbook 17" for the quality of the screeen and clarity it offers. I haven't seen much in PC notebooks that compare.

Thanks for your responses in advance..appreciate it!

MarkII[/QUOTE]

Yes Photoshop CS will run well on a powerbook with 512. Running Photoshop through Virtual PC will not be fun at all. Even if you max out to 2 gigs, it still will be slower than if you just buy PS for mac. It will be worth it, save your money and just buy it for Mac.

Photoshop is more cpu based, so upgrading your videocard wont show much improvement if any.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 25th 2004#160615 Report
I have 612 megs of DDR RAM in my iBook (the max it can allow sadly). However, it runs great for me. I have Adobe CS and primarily work on large print graphics and never have too many problems. I do have to do a restart now and then, but usually thats at the end of the week if I get lazy and don't shut things down before then.

You should be ok. I think its the computer snobs out there who think they need all the RAM in the world or live their life around computers that really make a big deal out of things now a days. At the same time, I wouldn't go less then 512 megs just because...but remember, we used to do the same jobs with slower RAM back in the day. Work smarter, not bigger. :D
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum