TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Networking 2 Computers Question

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 29th 2004#156782 Report
So here is what I have:

Wireless Router, has ethernet connection from Desktop, wireless from Laptop.

I have the Desktop and Laptop in a workgroup. When on the Desktop, I can access both Desktop and Laptop shared files. When on my laptop, I go to click the Desktop, and I get the message:

"\\desktop is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administartor of the server to find out if you have acces permssions."

Can anyone help me?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2004#156783 Report
Is it a Linksys router? Can you map a drive and get access? Are you using XP home?

To map a drive go right click your "My Computer" icon and click "map drive" ... you have the drive syntax already: \\desktop\shared_folder_sharename

I remember having issues working with this guy who had a linksys wireless VPN router and used home XP. The sharing would cut out all the time and his laptop had issues connecting thru the router to the network. But this might not have anything to do with your situation...
But I mentioned mapping a drive because that seemed to remedy it for most the time.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 29th 2004#156824 Report
No. I have XP Pro on both, and it is a D-Link router.

What does that change?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 31st 2004#157124 Report
[QUOTE=Josh Moody]No. I have XP Pro on both, and it is a D-Link router.

What does that change?[/QUOTE]

Did you right click your drive(C on the desktop and go to properties and allow it to be shared? If you did, maybe you are trying to access a different folder besides share documents or All Users in documents and settings because windows xp does not allow all other folders to be shared.(At least for me and my other pc's)
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 1st 2004#157201 Report
Oh.... I think I understand what you are saying...
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum