TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Networking/Router Question

Page: 1 Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155167 Report
he small business I work for is moving to a new location and we are adding to our little network. Right now we only have 3 computers, so I've set us up with a cheap consumer router from best buy or something. But when we move we'll be adding computers and have a total of at least 7.

My question is, what is the next step in setting up a network of that size? Would something like this 8-port Linksys Router/Switch do the trick? We will have the business-level Comcast Cable, so it's not like it's a T1 or anything.

Can I just plug the modem into that thing, and be done with it? Cat5 cable is already run all over the building and meets in a central location, but the previous tenants took the router/hub with them.

Should I look into a router/hub combo or something instead? Or have a server with internet connection sharing? I'm really only a novice at this stuff so I have no idea. I'm liking the idea of just plugging all the cables into that one Linksys box though.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155168 Report
Router --> directs packets to proper computer using proper port, etc. Generally the more expensive the more "intelligent" it is. Basic cheap consumer level routers just route packets and have a basic NAT going on. It's biggest asset is the ability to set up different networks within a network from any kind of connection.

switch --> Used to route packets from machine to the proper machine. On a cosumer level buy a router.

Hub --> Directs packets to all computers. Does not route. Never use a hub to directly connect your computers to the internet.

----

If you have 7 computers and are all playing online games thru that one cable modem you will notice some speed issues. But if all 7 of you are surfing the net at the same time, probably not an issue. So depending on how heavy you suck bandwidth out of that office depends on whether you might consider 1. 2 internet connections, and 2 routers, or 1. interenet connection and the 8 port router.

----

If I was you, I would do this:

1. find an older PC (p2, 350 or K6 350 or something like that)
2. buy some solid nics (stay away from Realtek. I would go with Intel). For internet connecting I would just stick with 10/100 - and use 100.

* edit: I am talking about the chipset here. For instance, D-Link uses the Realtek chipset -> bad. I think Linksys uses the Intel chipset. --> good. *

3. Download this cd iso - about 25 mb if I remember:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

This is a simple embedded FreeBSD installation, requires no harddrive, runs off of a CD and the config is saved on a floppy in XML format - so it's easy to backup if your pc dies =) - (just put the disk in and reboot with the floppy in the drive), is extremely easy to setup and has a very nice GUI built in php, screenshot example: http://m0n0.ch/wall/screens/system.png ... If you don't want to get into firewall rules, just block all from WAN. But if you have other servers or VPN's you need to set up, it's easy and well documented on how to configure it.

* edit: For example if you want to set up an ftp server for clients you can get a 3rd nic, put the ftp server between the router and firewall, connect on this 3rd nic from the firewall and set it up on it's own network. Adds a nice layer of protection between your external access ftp server and your LAN. Then just tell your firewall to router packets destined to port 21 to this computer on this network/host and it won't even touch your LAN. If someone does get access to your FTP server (crack it) then you still have that router between your LAN and that server. *

Connect your Cable modem into this pc, then on the LAN side connect your router. This is basically how I have my home network setup. I have 3 old AMD machines, gutted, so I have 2 spare mobos in case this one dies. Should suit me for another 4-5 years for free.

So you have a solid firewall between your router and your internet.

If you do decide on this and have some questions about setup give me a holler...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155174 Report
OMG confusing! I bought a SMC 8-port router with built in print server today.

But you are suggesting to get this cheap pc connected directly to the net, then plug it from the computer to the router, then to the other computers?

We certainly won't be playing games, and only my computer would be actively using the 'net most of the time. Others will occasionally browse, but that's it. Some won't get online at all. The most bandwidth-intensive thing is me downloading stuff from Bittorrent all day.

We don't need a ftp server or vpn or anything like that. So what would that separate slow computer do for us that the router won't?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155180 Report
[QUOTE=deker]OMG confusing! I bought a SMC 8-port router with built in print server today.

But you are suggesting to get this cheap pc connected directly to the net, then plug it from the computer to the router, then to the other computers?

We certainly won't be playing games, and only my computer would be actively using the 'net most of the time. Others will occasionally browse, but that's it. Some won't get online at all. The most bandwidth-intensive thing is me downloading stuff from Bittorrent all day.

We don't need a ftp server or vpn or anything like that. So what would that separate slow computer do for us that the router won't?[/QUOTE]

The router will have a NAT, which in one small part of a decent firewall. So essentially what I pointed out to you is a firewall. m0n0wall is a really good option and I like how well thought out the GUI is compared to some of these other embedded systems. So having that firewall between your router and the internet just gives you a lot more security.

So it's worth it imo. But what you have is good enough. 8 port router, then if you can set up a nice firewall between your router and internet you should be well secure, as long as some dummy doesn't download a virus or use IE :P
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155181 Report
who would hack me? i have nothing anyone wants!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 8th 2004#155182 Report
Me :P ...

a lot more "hacking" goes on that you might not realise. There are so many tools out there to puncture simple networks. If someone scans your IP range and sees a few things that are open they might try to get in, whether it's for fun or setting you up as a zombie (Dos attack), or getting software, etc... Your router will prevent a lot of that as most people use easy to get tools for M$ or Linux vulnerabilities. But Security is not a one item plug and play sort of deal. If you rely on software firewalls, chances are there might be hacks for them and if you get a virus it will more than likely knock out your firewall and anti-v software right away.
Nothing is really more solid than a mature OS, kernel level set firewall (BSD). Just gives you better chance of never having anyone try to get thru your network. It's up to you, but for such low hassle I'd do it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 17th 2004#158679 Report
Ok Marble. We now need to network 10 computers. My boss found some old PIII's on ebay, and he's buying 5 of them. Now I have an 8-port router, with 10 computers. What are my options? Can I get a hub or something to plug into the router? Do I have to get a router? Do I have to get a server? Keep in mind he's paying $180 for a computer with a monitor, so spending money is very hard for him to do.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 17th 2004#158685 Report
You can just buy a cheap network hub and connect that into one of the router ports. That'd be the cheapest route. Keep your most "unused" computers on that hub. The most used directly into the router.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 17th 2004#158687 Report
alright, thanks!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 16th 2005#167537 Report
I have four computers hooked up to a LAN. Three of the Computers Use a Linksys Router for Internet Access.. i have 2 ip's for gaming. One of the Computer's has 2 NIC Card's. I have Cable Internet. I have it Cabled Like this. From my Modem Into my hub uplinked to the router.
I want the Computer that has the two NIC Card's to use the IP Coming into the Hub only. It tend's to use the Router Instead. I tried to Filter out the MAC Address but then it is denied Internet Access if I unplug the NIC that goes to the Router it uses the the NiC hooked to the hub. I have tested it back to my FTP server by connecting to the router's ip. My question is how do I force it to use the Hub Only or the Registered Nic in the computer instead of the router? The reason for 2 NIC card's is so I can test my server like I was coming in from the internet not local and for 2 computers to connect to the same game server. I want it use the router for Local file sharing only. What is strange is my Test worked back to the FTP but when I went to shield's up in my browser it seen my Router's Ip.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum