TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Mac font problem / question

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jan 25th 2004#139428 Report
When I first got my Mac I installed all my usual fonts. Well in the process one must have been corrupted. So instead of going into font book and disabling fonts until I found the bad one I just started deleting them

I just re-installed them after finding the bad one. But here is the problem. I think I am missing some of my actual Mac standard fonts. Every so often I'll open up a program and it will say font not available or displayable. So I think I got rid of some of the fonts I need for the system.

Is there a way to restore the system fonts? For OS X...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 25th 2004#139432 Report
Pank...

There's a guy on the Adobe U2U forums by the name of G Ballard who has put together a nice page about how to wrangle fonts under Mac OS X. Have a look and bookmark it: (Unfortunately...I just checked and his site won't load. Check back later though, it's worth reading)
http://www.gballard.net/macrant/fonts.html

Now, about restoring individual bits from the full OS restore disk:
I haven't had to do any of that, yet, but I found a little utility called Pacifist that will allow you to open up the full package and view the individual components, and install what you wannt without going through a full system restore.
http://www.charlessoft.com/

EDIT: By the way, Pank—Really descriptive thread title ya got there! ;) :D :confused:
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 25th 2004#139471 Report
That program is really good. I extracted all the fonts to their default location and I don't think it fixed it.

Like when I launch garage band it still comes up with a launch error
"Some Text Fonts are missing or not displayable."
"You can replace Fonts globally n the Text Style Window."

And yeah, my topic sucked ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 25th 2004#139473 Report
I updated my title just for you
Well and for me since it will probably help...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139505 Report
Hmm...

I really wish I knew what to tell you, Bob, but so far (since Xmas day) I haven't had ANY problems at all. I've been reading as much as I can at MacFixit and other places, but this isn't a problem I specifically remember being targeted for troubleshooting.

Umm, I take it you've gotten all the OS updates? (are you running Panther?)

What about doing a full system restore? It might take a while, but you could be reasonably assured that things will then work as they're supposed to.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139507 Report
You know actually I have had zero "problems" with this Mac. And this was really something I thought I had corrected a long time ago. I still think it is fine. For some reason Garage Band is the only app that shows that error. And it still runs perfectly so I'm not going to sweat it. I just thought maybe somebody else may have had this happen. All my system fonts appear to be back and running fine.

On a side note what originally started this was:
The day I got my Mac I installed all my old fonts.
I noticed the Help did not work?? Drove me nuts.
Then I started thinking maybe something was corrupt. I found a font (started with an M' can't remember the name) that caused the issue. Deleted it, every thing worked fine.

Then I noticed I deleted some of the fonts the system needed. Put those all back and since then everything was cool. Maybe I'll just try re-installing Garage Band.

Even though it works it bothers me (because I have no life) that I get that error when it starts. It also bothers me I don't know what the hell the "Text Style Window" exactly is and does... ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139509 Report
Not specific to your problem, but some good osx/font info here: http://maczealots.com/tutorials/fonts/
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139515 Report
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139547 Report
And Bob...

Don't forget to check through the Apple disscussions regarding GarageBand:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@210.t2VsabK9cxu.0@garageband
Specifically:
"Error message about Text Fonts".
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 26th 2004#139577 Report
" More than about 370 fonts are installed. "

Thanks U. That was it. I have yet to categorize my fonts in font book so I just have them all enabled.

Have to remember to check that board more often.
Thanks again guys.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum